Brometheus
Apr 25, 10:24 AM
Apple could do themselves a lot of favours if they came out with an offical statement, explaining what iOS does in regards of user tracking ( i.e, location database ). Some 1 line email response fired off by SJ doesn't do much good.
Once again, Apple fall down in terms of customer relations / communications. If Apple handled this correctly then all the fuss could go away in a couple days.
Apple cannot get into the habit of responding to such claims immediately. Hershey or Pringles should definitely address such accusations of wrongdoing, because there are few internet forums filled with breathless commentary about those companies. However, there are probably more accusations against Apple than any other company in the world. Most of the controversies die after a week or two, so it makes sense to wait for a while. Otherwise Apple would constantly have to refute some claim or another. Then, if they filled to respond to any specific query the haters would accuse them of hiding something.
Once again, Apple fall down in terms of customer relations / communications. If Apple handled this correctly then all the fuss could go away in a couple days.
Apple cannot get into the habit of responding to such claims immediately. Hershey or Pringles should definitely address such accusations of wrongdoing, because there are few internet forums filled with breathless commentary about those companies. However, there are probably more accusations against Apple than any other company in the world. Most of the controversies die after a week or two, so it makes sense to wait for a while. Otherwise Apple would constantly have to refute some claim or another. Then, if they filled to respond to any specific query the haters would accuse them of hiding something.
Capt Underpants
May 6, 12:20 AM
I can't see them making another architecture transition. The switch to intel was enough...

manu chao
Jul 30, 12:27 PM
They [flip phones] have more moving parts that can break ...
True, but as long as my RAZR keeps working, my personal perception of how high that risk is, tells me that this is not an important factor.
and take longer to answer, especially if your hands are full or you're driving
your car.
It still takes longer to get my cellphone out of my pocket than to flip it open. I can flip it open with one hand and without having to look at it (somehow important when driving).
True, but as long as my RAZR keeps working, my personal perception of how high that risk is, tells me that this is not an important factor.
and take longer to answer, especially if your hands are full or you're driving
your car.
It still takes longer to get my cellphone out of my pocket than to flip it open. I can flip it open with one hand and without having to look at it (somehow important when driving).
dr_lha
Aug 11, 10:23 AM
They are already available, these are standard PC parts now remember.
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=14564&GroupID=1674
There is no current Mac that this chip can "drop into", apart from maybe a Mac Pro, but going from a Woodcrest to a Conroe would be a downgrade in that case.
The Merom that should eventually go into the iMac, mini, MBP and MacBook are currently not on sale to the consumer.
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=14564&GroupID=1674
There is no current Mac that this chip can "drop into", apart from maybe a Mac Pro, but going from a Woodcrest to a Conroe would be a downgrade in that case.
The Merom that should eventually go into the iMac, mini, MBP and MacBook are currently not on sale to the consumer.
Liam8
May 9, 12:30 PM
That would be great! Think of how useful it is! :rolleyes:
cmaier
Apr 18, 03:05 PM
Apple had the same problem with the original LISA UI. It was so simplistic that they lost the lawsuits. Same may happen here.
That's not at all what happened.
That's not at all what happened.
Zoowatch
Aug 7, 09:10 PM
how about frontrow and Apple remote?
i know this is a pro machine...
but having these built-in would be great
besides... SJ mentioned that frontrow would be enhanced in Leopard
does this mean that the new Mac Pro would have frontrow as well?
i know this is a pro machine...
but having these built-in would be great
besides... SJ mentioned that frontrow would be enhanced in Leopard
does this mean that the new Mac Pro would have frontrow as well?
xbuddycorex
May 3, 03:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
Working in medicine in the US, this us the bane of my existence.
Working in medicine in the US, this us the bane of my existence.
rtdunham
Mar 27, 09:38 AM
I've read the music-in-the-cloud might store only iTMS-purchased music. I hope that' s not the case. If I'm storing my music I want to store all of it, not have to keep track of which part of it's in the cloud and which remains hardware-based. Ditto for other media, for that matter.
macindork
Apr 22, 10:24 AM
Citation needed.
Even our Active-Active cluster boxes have redundant power supplies plugged into seperate electrical circuits and wired to independant UPSes, never mind our Active-Passive cluster solutions...
The fact is, most data centers do go for maximum redundancies without single points of failure on the hardware side.
When you have a massively parallele solution with custom software that is built to run on non-redundant hardware like Google built with their search engine, yeah, you can afford to skimp on hardware. They don't care if 1 node out of their 10000 fails, and the software doesn't see the impact. But that 1 specialised custom application is not an industry standard and is far from the norm in building data centers.
The fact is, the Xserve wasn't selling well and it had all the server features. A rackable Mac Pro would sell even less to those Xserve buyers. Forget redundant power supplies if you don't believe in them, just lack of LOM or hot-swap drives is a killer by itself.
And seriously, Thunderbolt ? Host based storage ? Forget that, to get into my data center, you need multi-path Fiber Channel. Thank god at least Apple recognizes that and offers the option on the Mac Pro. Thunderbolt is not a SAN technology and it's not replacing SANs anytime soon. I don't want to manage hundreds of storage arrays for each hosts. I want to manage 1 unified storage array and then present LUNs to my hosts as needed. That way, I get better distribution of my existing storage and can even manage some over-provisionning depending on the technology I use.
A lot of people here never worked with enterprise-grade systems. A rackable Mac Pro would at best be used as someone else stated, to rack along video/audio equipement in a studio. Not to rack into a data center.
I work for a school district and even we go for redundant PS when possible, especially on our ESX boxes. Believe it or not though we are still gigabit to our SAN and while Fiber Channel may be awesome in this scenario do you not think Thunderbolt would have the throughput for say, a DAS box? Then again, we aren't as demanding in our environment. ESX is nice in this way because its all of our servers (well, almost all virtualized) and one Equallogic.
Even our Active-Active cluster boxes have redundant power supplies plugged into seperate electrical circuits and wired to independant UPSes, never mind our Active-Passive cluster solutions...
The fact is, most data centers do go for maximum redundancies without single points of failure on the hardware side.
When you have a massively parallele solution with custom software that is built to run on non-redundant hardware like Google built with their search engine, yeah, you can afford to skimp on hardware. They don't care if 1 node out of their 10000 fails, and the software doesn't see the impact. But that 1 specialised custom application is not an industry standard and is far from the norm in building data centers.
The fact is, the Xserve wasn't selling well and it had all the server features. A rackable Mac Pro would sell even less to those Xserve buyers. Forget redundant power supplies if you don't believe in them, just lack of LOM or hot-swap drives is a killer by itself.
And seriously, Thunderbolt ? Host based storage ? Forget that, to get into my data center, you need multi-path Fiber Channel. Thank god at least Apple recognizes that and offers the option on the Mac Pro. Thunderbolt is not a SAN technology and it's not replacing SANs anytime soon. I don't want to manage hundreds of storage arrays for each hosts. I want to manage 1 unified storage array and then present LUNs to my hosts as needed. That way, I get better distribution of my existing storage and can even manage some over-provisionning depending on the technology I use.
A lot of people here never worked with enterprise-grade systems. A rackable Mac Pro would at best be used as someone else stated, to rack along video/audio equipement in a studio. Not to rack into a data center.
I work for a school district and even we go for redundant PS when possible, especially on our ESX boxes. Believe it or not though we are still gigabit to our SAN and while Fiber Channel may be awesome in this scenario do you not think Thunderbolt would have the throughput for say, a DAS box? Then again, we aren't as demanding in our environment. ESX is nice in this way because its all of our servers (well, almost all virtualized) and one Equallogic.
twoodcc
Apr 24, 12:00 PM
i would love to see retina displays for desktops and laptops!
justflie
May 7, 10:36 AM
Yes please. The move makes sense given the Windows Live stuff MS is doing.
sjinsjca
Nov 14, 03:34 PM
You're joking right?!
They are the one of the biggest security product vendors!
I have installed this, no slow down and it doesn't get in the way.
I have it installed as I frequently share files with Windows users and don't want to be a carrier.
+1.
My Mac-using son had a Windows trojan on his memory stick, which he uses at school-- the trojan probably loaded itself there. Its presence was identified by a Windows-using friend's malware scanner when he plugged the stick into his machine. I investigated later: scanned it with fully-up-to-date ClamXAV on my Mac. Clam didn't find anything. So, I downloaded Sophos and let it install it per its defaults. Scanned the stick again, and Sophos alerted me to the issue. It also had links to informative pages on the trojan in question. Turns out it's a Windows-only trojan; at no point were our Macs in danger. But every PC user among my son's friends was at risk from it. It was a nasty one, too, and known for stealing passwords and so forth.
So based on that one test, it seems Sophos is superior to Clam. I've noted no problem running it on my machine so far. Scanning my hard disk, for example, didn't bog the machine down much.
I think I'll keep it. Clam would not automatically scan incoming emails or other potential sources of contagion; Sophos will do so. Given there appears to be little or no performance or stability hit, it seems worthwhile.
They are the one of the biggest security product vendors!
I have installed this, no slow down and it doesn't get in the way.
I have it installed as I frequently share files with Windows users and don't want to be a carrier.
+1.
My Mac-using son had a Windows trojan on his memory stick, which he uses at school-- the trojan probably loaded itself there. Its presence was identified by a Windows-using friend's malware scanner when he plugged the stick into his machine. I investigated later: scanned it with fully-up-to-date ClamXAV on my Mac. Clam didn't find anything. So, I downloaded Sophos and let it install it per its defaults. Scanned the stick again, and Sophos alerted me to the issue. It also had links to informative pages on the trojan in question. Turns out it's a Windows-only trojan; at no point were our Macs in danger. But every PC user among my son's friends was at risk from it. It was a nasty one, too, and known for stealing passwords and so forth.
So based on that one test, it seems Sophos is superior to Clam. I've noted no problem running it on my machine so far. Scanning my hard disk, for example, didn't bog the machine down much.
I think I'll keep it. Clam would not automatically scan incoming emails or other potential sources of contagion; Sophos will do so. Given there appears to be little or no performance or stability hit, it seems worthwhile.
Multimedia
Aug 7, 06:54 PM
this may be a dumb ? but . . .
as far as the empty drive bay, i already have a pionner 109 superdrive i bought for my old powermac g4. would that be compatible?Latest Pioneer DVR-111 is only $35.
as far as the empty drive bay, i already have a pionner 109 superdrive i bought for my old powermac g4. would that be compatible?Latest Pioneer DVR-111 is only $35.
fxtech
Mar 29, 04:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
A wise person shops with an open mind. You seem to have closed yours and thus send all your dollars over seas. Sad really.
I thought having a closed mind was a prerequisite for being a member here.
A wise person shops with an open mind. You seem to have closed yours and thus send all your dollars over seas. Sad really.
I thought having a closed mind was a prerequisite for being a member here.
coder12
Mar 28, 11:09 AM
It's important that Apple starts to devote some serious time to it's operating systems as well. I don't see any major drawbacks to delaying any potential new hardware introductions.
I'm feeling the same way on this. I want Gingerbread and HPre OS to lust after iOS again!
I'm feeling the same way on this. I want Gingerbread and HPre OS to lust after iOS again!

paolo-
Apr 9, 09:49 PM
So if the parentheses are solved first why not just put them in front? Why go through all the semantics? Do scientists purposely make it this hard when solving equations?
No, they usually write it using specialized program so you would clearly know if it's
48
2 * (9+3)
or
____48___
2*(9+3)
But really, if you see this as 48�2(9+3), I think it becomes much more clearer. Most people aren't used to see / used as a division mark other than when using two lines, not used as a simple replacement as it is for computer. But yes they wouldn't go through the trouble of rewriting an equation just to make the order of operation simpler, as that is quite easy when you work with math everyday. But they do tidy up their equations so the intent should become clear. I mean, you could type verbally an equation, this is just the equivalent to punctuation, you put a point and a capital letter to start a new sentence.
This question is purely semantics. But scientists tend to write for other scientists who have no trouble saying this is 288. But most profs I've had hate answering questions over email simply because writing equations with regular characters is crap.
No, they usually write it using specialized program so you would clearly know if it's
48
2 * (9+3)
or
____48___
2*(9+3)
But really, if you see this as 48�2(9+3), I think it becomes much more clearer. Most people aren't used to see / used as a division mark other than when using two lines, not used as a simple replacement as it is for computer. But yes they wouldn't go through the trouble of rewriting an equation just to make the order of operation simpler, as that is quite easy when you work with math everyday. But they do tidy up their equations so the intent should become clear. I mean, you could type verbally an equation, this is just the equivalent to punctuation, you put a point and a capital letter to start a new sentence.
This question is purely semantics. But scientists tend to write for other scientists who have no trouble saying this is 288. But most profs I've had hate answering questions over email simply because writing equations with regular characters is crap.
teme
Jul 21, 02:53 PM
About MacBook... when Merom is released, Yonah's price will drop. This would help Apple to make a $999 MacBook with 2.0GHz Core Duo. The more expensive model could be a $1299 Macbook with 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo.
mcrain
Apr 14, 04:25 PM
It's time to raise the capital gains rate and make it progressively tied to income taxes.
Or just treat all income as ordinary income and eliminate all the preferential treatment certain forms of income enjoy. Eliminate capital gain, business, gift and estate taxes, and treat all income from all sources as ordinary income and tax accordingly.
Or just treat all income as ordinary income and eliminate all the preferential treatment certain forms of income enjoy. Eliminate capital gain, business, gift and estate taxes, and treat all income from all sources as ordinary income and tax accordingly.
Kane08
Mar 29, 09:48 PM
The idea of cloud storage is that you have another copy of your data on external servers with much more bandwidth and server maintenance and backup than you can manage at home. Then you can access that cloud from a multiple of devices that may or may not have the local storage space for all that data.
I routinely use 3 different laptops (have access to 5) and 3 mobile devices. I've backup up my content at home on multiple external HDD (the bigger AC powered 3.5" drives and more portable 2.5" drives). But to get my content on my devices I was forever syncing and resyncing having to pick & chose what content I wanted to access on the device.
Amazon's music cloud allows me to create one backup resource for my music on an external server farm. They worry about maintaining the HDD and connectivity to the net. I can access my music and playlists on my memory-challenged mobile device or that netbook I only take along on trips and always forget to sync.
Since adding Dropbox and Evernote to my arsenal of tools I've been able to eliminate the need to carry around USB HDDs entirely. I can work on projects with whatever computer I happen to be using.
The reason for sour grapes here (I suspect) is that Amazon beat Apple to the punch. Apple's been sitting on Lala for 2 freaking years!!!! To take music with you syncing is mandatory and storage space comes at a premium on Apple devices. Even the new Home Sharing features of iOS 4.3 pale in comparison to StreamToMe and a DYNDNS account.
I love Amazon's move. I routinely chose them for music downloads over iTunes anyway due to better pricing. And best of all Amazon will be taking on the music industry's insane demands that consumers have multiple licenses to listen to their own music!!! Someone's gotta take RIAA down to reality or else we'll all get sued for 75 trillion dollars just for making copies of our own music files.
I think people forget it was Amazon that successfully pushed for DRM-free digital music. Before then everything you bought was by subscription or made invalid if you switched HDDs and forgot to back up your licenses. Including the vaunted iTunes library.
Lol, there are no sour grapes at all, my point was that I don't want large online backup, I want a big dumb pipe to access my own things on my own computer. Like I said, maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I want to rely on an outside source as little as possible. With all the experience I have with information gathering, I just personally want to allow as little info farming of me as possible
I routinely use 3 different laptops (have access to 5) and 3 mobile devices. I've backup up my content at home on multiple external HDD (the bigger AC powered 3.5" drives and more portable 2.5" drives). But to get my content on my devices I was forever syncing and resyncing having to pick & chose what content I wanted to access on the device.
Amazon's music cloud allows me to create one backup resource for my music on an external server farm. They worry about maintaining the HDD and connectivity to the net. I can access my music and playlists on my memory-challenged mobile device or that netbook I only take along on trips and always forget to sync.
Since adding Dropbox and Evernote to my arsenal of tools I've been able to eliminate the need to carry around USB HDDs entirely. I can work on projects with whatever computer I happen to be using.
The reason for sour grapes here (I suspect) is that Amazon beat Apple to the punch. Apple's been sitting on Lala for 2 freaking years!!!! To take music with you syncing is mandatory and storage space comes at a premium on Apple devices. Even the new Home Sharing features of iOS 4.3 pale in comparison to StreamToMe and a DYNDNS account.
I love Amazon's move. I routinely chose them for music downloads over iTunes anyway due to better pricing. And best of all Amazon will be taking on the music industry's insane demands that consumers have multiple licenses to listen to their own music!!! Someone's gotta take RIAA down to reality or else we'll all get sued for 75 trillion dollars just for making copies of our own music files.
I think people forget it was Amazon that successfully pushed for DRM-free digital music. Before then everything you bought was by subscription or made invalid if you switched HDDs and forgot to back up your licenses. Including the vaunted iTunes library.
Lol, there are no sour grapes at all, my point was that I don't want large online backup, I want a big dumb pipe to access my own things on my own computer. Like I said, maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I want to rely on an outside source as little as possible. With all the experience I have with information gathering, I just personally want to allow as little info farming of me as possible
p0intblank
Sep 11, 11:57 AM
The only things comin out are the Video Rental service, and a size increase for the Nano.
Move along.
I have to disagree. What makes you think Apple is going to go with only a video rental service? Apple is all about wanting their users being able to "own" content, not borrow it. If anything, they'll go the route of Amazon and allow the user to choose to either own or rent it.
And size increase for the iPod nano sounds very likely, but I expect Apple to do something with the 5G iPod also. Whether it's increase storage capacities or a true fullscreen model, anything works for me.
Move along.
I have to disagree. What makes you think Apple is going to go with only a video rental service? Apple is all about wanting their users being able to "own" content, not borrow it. If anything, they'll go the route of Amazon and allow the user to choose to either own or rent it.
And size increase for the iPod nano sounds very likely, but I expect Apple to do something with the 5G iPod also. Whether it's increase storage capacities or a true fullscreen model, anything works for me.
Multimedia
Aug 4, 07:29 PM
The company that really deserves criticism is intuit. They recently released quicken 2007 and it was not UB. They were releasing a new product and they chose to ignore intel Mac users. Makes you wonder if they are going to stay in the mac market at all. Maybe in the future they will just recommend running parallel and windows, to use quicken on an intel mac.That version of Quicken doesn't run fast enough in Rosetta? Seems like it would. :confused: :eek:
Al Coholic
Apr 7, 10:46 AM
Just because Apple has a lot of money to buy things does not make them a monopoly.
P-Worm
LOL! So Apple's ability to control a consumer market is a good thing? Tell me you're not that naive.
P-Worm
LOL! So Apple's ability to control a consumer market is a good thing? Tell me you're not that naive.
treblah
Aug 3, 11:25 AM
How Do You Make A Yonah MBP Run @ 2.33GHz? You Don't. It's Merom Inside.
I see that you misunderstood the context of the 2.33Ghz but you are still incorrect. You can buy a 2.33Ghz Yonah today, its called the T2700. I know there are not any T2700's in a MBP but Apple could have done so if they wanted.
Now, back to your 1.67X Battery life…
Straight from a "Merom vs. Yonah" AnandTech article (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=15) released earlier today:
Here there's no difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, which in the mobile world is important. If Intel isn't going to give us any more battery life, it had better not take any away.
In our final battery life test, the Core 2 Duo T7600 actually falls behind its Core Duo counterpart by 2 minutes, but the margin of error for battery life tests is usually at least 1%, so overall battery life is essentially identical.
:)
I see that you misunderstood the context of the 2.33Ghz but you are still incorrect. You can buy a 2.33Ghz Yonah today, its called the T2700. I know there are not any T2700's in a MBP but Apple could have done so if they wanted.
Now, back to your 1.67X Battery life…
Straight from a "Merom vs. Yonah" AnandTech article (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808&p=15) released earlier today:
Here there's no difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, which in the mobile world is important. If Intel isn't going to give us any more battery life, it had better not take any away.
In our final battery life test, the Core 2 Duo T7600 actually falls behind its Core Duo counterpart by 2 minutes, but the margin of error for battery life tests is usually at least 1%, so overall battery life is essentially identical.
:)
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar