wclyffe
Dec 3, 08:57 PM
What do you guys think, should we wait or go ahead and buy from somewhere else. Or just wait fo Magellans car kit?
Hard call. I like the idea that I would not have to remove my case to use the Magellan, but that's all I like about the look of it. It looks cheaper to me and I'm guessing we would be waiting until the end of January, or later, before the price would start to drop from $130. From viewing the many Youtube videos on the TomTom car kit it seems pretty great for $90.
Hard call. I like the idea that I would not have to remove my case to use the Magellan, but that's all I like about the look of it. It looks cheaper to me and I'm guessing we would be waiting until the end of January, or later, before the price would start to drop from $130. From viewing the many Youtube videos on the TomTom car kit it seems pretty great for $90.
Chris.L
Nov 6, 12:01 PM
Blah blah blah. Lack of AV software makes Macs very unattractive to business settings.
One of the barriers to integrating Macs into corporate and business environments is the lack of anti-virus tools. Yeah, you can dismiss this as FUD (and maybe there's some truth to that) but the fact remains--someday, one way or another, there will be a Mac OS X virus. I defy you to find one IT dept. in the country that wants to be caught off-guard by that. If you're going to have Macs in a business environment, the IT staff needs to know that they're protected in the event of an OS X virus outbreak. Whether any OS X viruses exist now or not and whether AV companies are trying to sell products with FUD is irrelevant in that context.
Those of you who want to see wider adoption of Macs in business environments ought to be happy to see this kind of thing showing up, regardless of whether you personally need it or not.
Agree completely.
And not just any old AV solution either something with a respected name and centrally managed. Something that will be a requirement for any half decent IT Dept/Corporate. How if I could just get a VMware client for OS X I could ditch my work HP. Oh, and a docking station...
I have had this installed since release day, and I can honestly say it hasn't slowed my MBP at all. I would actually forget it was there at all except for the little icon at the top.
One of the barriers to integrating Macs into corporate and business environments is the lack of anti-virus tools. Yeah, you can dismiss this as FUD (and maybe there's some truth to that) but the fact remains--someday, one way or another, there will be a Mac OS X virus. I defy you to find one IT dept. in the country that wants to be caught off-guard by that. If you're going to have Macs in a business environment, the IT staff needs to know that they're protected in the event of an OS X virus outbreak. Whether any OS X viruses exist now or not and whether AV companies are trying to sell products with FUD is irrelevant in that context.
Those of you who want to see wider adoption of Macs in business environments ought to be happy to see this kind of thing showing up, regardless of whether you personally need it or not.
Agree completely.
And not just any old AV solution either something with a respected name and centrally managed. Something that will be a requirement for any half decent IT Dept/Corporate. How if I could just get a VMware client for OS X I could ditch my work HP. Oh, and a docking station...
I have had this installed since release day, and I can honestly say it hasn't slowed my MBP at all. I would actually forget it was there at all except for the little icon at the top.
itcheroni
Apr 16, 11:37 AM
Sounds like a good reason to avoid it.
Why focus your perspective on gaining wealth?
Aren't there more important things than that in our brief lives?
I guess it's the same reason creationists prefer to study their own creation science rather than anything that challenges their already held beliefs.
It's just my own personal point of view, but I don't think it's good to avoid learning something new because it might change your opinion about it.
Now I don't mean to be cruel, but he isn't making anything, creating anything or contributing anything to society through this livelihood. He's merely siphoning off the flow. And he wants to talk about perspective? It seems to me that making a living that way is guaranteed to give you a warped perspective.
It's a perspective I'm glad I don't share.
I doubt you can even explain what it is I'm doing. Can you explain how I'm not creating anything? Or contributing anything? Or what flow I'm siphoning off? You're making conclusions off complete ignorance.
I didn't miss it, you did. here, I'll bold it, underline it and put it in red so it's easier for you to catch ...
Then I'll refer to the definition so you might know what that word means ...
pri�ma�ri�ly (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/primarily) –adverb
1. essentially; mostly; chiefly; principally
Then I'll give you an example that demonstrates a different perspective on wealth ...
I am a graphic designer. My primary focus is on creating print and web solutions for my clients. While I do get paid, money is neither the source of my production and creativity, nor the material with which I work. It is a by-product of my labors, not the sole focus of them.
Thus I have a different perspective on money and wealth than itcheroni.
I hope that clarifies that for you.
If you take a single word out of a context, it's going to be...out of context. In that sense, I was using primarily, in the sense that my primary strategy is using time rather than up or down movements.
I understand the prejudice people have against financial people, because I used to have them too. I face a lot of ignorance in a lot of other activities I enjoy too. I make money off what I do, just like you do in your field. But what I do is understand economics and the mechanism of options. If I didn't understand economics, I would lose money. That's not something I would primarily want to do.
Why focus your perspective on gaining wealth?
Aren't there more important things than that in our brief lives?
I guess it's the same reason creationists prefer to study their own creation science rather than anything that challenges their already held beliefs.
It's just my own personal point of view, but I don't think it's good to avoid learning something new because it might change your opinion about it.
Now I don't mean to be cruel, but he isn't making anything, creating anything or contributing anything to society through this livelihood. He's merely siphoning off the flow. And he wants to talk about perspective? It seems to me that making a living that way is guaranteed to give you a warped perspective.
It's a perspective I'm glad I don't share.
I doubt you can even explain what it is I'm doing. Can you explain how I'm not creating anything? Or contributing anything? Or what flow I'm siphoning off? You're making conclusions off complete ignorance.
I didn't miss it, you did. here, I'll bold it, underline it and put it in red so it's easier for you to catch ...
Then I'll refer to the definition so you might know what that word means ...
pri�ma�ri�ly (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/primarily) –adverb
1. essentially; mostly; chiefly; principally
Then I'll give you an example that demonstrates a different perspective on wealth ...
I am a graphic designer. My primary focus is on creating print and web solutions for my clients. While I do get paid, money is neither the source of my production and creativity, nor the material with which I work. It is a by-product of my labors, not the sole focus of them.
Thus I have a different perspective on money and wealth than itcheroni.
I hope that clarifies that for you.
If you take a single word out of a context, it's going to be...out of context. In that sense, I was using primarily, in the sense that my primary strategy is using time rather than up or down movements.
I understand the prejudice people have against financial people, because I used to have them too. I face a lot of ignorance in a lot of other activities I enjoy too. I make money off what I do, just like you do in your field. But what I do is understand economics and the mechanism of options. If I didn't understand economics, I would lose money. That's not something I would primarily want to do.
iGary
Aug 4, 07:54 AM
Isn't that what Rosetta is for :p :D
Hardly Apple's fault. Apple has managed to transition all it's apps - Adobe is certainly dragging their collective feet.
Don't blame Apple at all, I just have a hard time getting excited about hardware that can't do what I need it to do. Looking forward to a Universal app from Adobe and Macromedia so I can be excited about Apple's offerings.
Hardly Apple's fault. Apple has managed to transition all it's apps - Adobe is certainly dragging their collective feet.
Don't blame Apple at all, I just have a hard time getting excited about hardware that can't do what I need it to do. Looking forward to a Universal app from Adobe and Macromedia so I can be excited about Apple's offerings.
yankeedoodle
Nov 22, 02:16 AM
Wasn't it exactly the same story with the iPod?
Yep. And Palm doen't even know how to make a PDA right... Sorry, just my 2 cents and as much as I hate Microsoft: If there is one single thing that Microsoft's dullness department has overlooked so far it's the Pocket PC... Have a look at them next time you are in a store, compare them; have a look at their multitasking features, watch online TV on them -- they are by far not perfect and tend to crash (that's the Microsoft part in it) -- but they are still worlds better than any Palm out there.
I wish Apple would not only enter the phone business but also come back into the PDA market and show the Microsoft folks how to do it the Apple way. The Newton was fantastic and much ahead of it's time. In 1993 people just didn't know how to handle a PDA and didn't know how to integrate it into their daily workflow. Today, we are used to carry our iPods around wherever we go -- so if Apple could manage to enter the phone and PDA business via the iPod as a well known, emotionally positive vector (people buy the iPod because they want to listen to music and find out that it can also do much more than just play back U2 tracks), they could have a tremendous success.
Yep. And Palm doen't even know how to make a PDA right... Sorry, just my 2 cents and as much as I hate Microsoft: If there is one single thing that Microsoft's dullness department has overlooked so far it's the Pocket PC... Have a look at them next time you are in a store, compare them; have a look at their multitasking features, watch online TV on them -- they are by far not perfect and tend to crash (that's the Microsoft part in it) -- but they are still worlds better than any Palm out there.
I wish Apple would not only enter the phone business but also come back into the PDA market and show the Microsoft folks how to do it the Apple way. The Newton was fantastic and much ahead of it's time. In 1993 people just didn't know how to handle a PDA and didn't know how to integrate it into their daily workflow. Today, we are used to carry our iPods around wherever we go -- so if Apple could manage to enter the phone and PDA business via the iPod as a well known, emotionally positive vector (people buy the iPod because they want to listen to music and find out that it can also do much more than just play back U2 tracks), they could have a tremendous success.
Eldiablojoe
May 6, 01:56 PM
I would prefer not to be separated from my beloved wife. I don't really trust some of you who possess less than honorable intentions.
Multimedia
Aug 4, 10:37 PM
After Paris. Nov. 23, 2006 to be exact. Too bad you Aussies don't celebrate Thanksgiving. It is all about eating, drinking and watching football.Speaking of Football, NBC Premieres Sunday Night Football this Sunday night (http://www.snfonnbc.com/) at 8PM East - 5PM West live from Canton Ohio. John Madden is inducted into the Hall of Fame on Saturday and then shares the booth with Al Michaels in their new HD premiere broadcast pitting the Oakland Raiders against the Philadelphia Eagles. Let the games begin. :D
We get 10 exhibition games this month from the three broadcast networks. Whoopie. :D
We get 10 exhibition games this month from the three broadcast networks. Whoopie. :D
tblrsa
Apr 25, 10:28 AM
Right, and boy is there misinformation being spread right in this thread. Apple is NOT collecting this data, your iPhone is. It goes NOWHERE.
As I said, it isn't even doing that for me as I deleted that file on my Mac. Hey, instead of running around with your hair on fire, just delete that file. Wow, that's easy!
Naah, better to pretend this is one big conspiracy from Apple and spread misinformation. Hey, I know, let me contradict Steve's explicit statements. I sure know who I trust more: anonymous snipers on the Internet over Steve Jobs.
Unfortunately it�s not THAT easy. First, to delete the file you need to apply a jailbreak to your device. If you delete it on your Mac, pretty sure it will be recreated on your next device sync. Second, I�m sure the consolidated.db is not used by Apple themselves, BUT I guess it�s used by their advertising partners. I bet certain Apps will be able to access it to show localized iAds to the user. And to top it all off, Apple hasn�t asked for my permission to collect this data.
As I said, it isn't even doing that for me as I deleted that file on my Mac. Hey, instead of running around with your hair on fire, just delete that file. Wow, that's easy!
Naah, better to pretend this is one big conspiracy from Apple and spread misinformation. Hey, I know, let me contradict Steve's explicit statements. I sure know who I trust more: anonymous snipers on the Internet over Steve Jobs.
Unfortunately it�s not THAT easy. First, to delete the file you need to apply a jailbreak to your device. If you delete it on your Mac, pretty sure it will be recreated on your next device sync. Second, I�m sure the consolidated.db is not used by Apple themselves, BUT I guess it�s used by their advertising partners. I bet certain Apps will be able to access it to show localized iAds to the user. And to top it all off, Apple hasn�t asked for my permission to collect this data.
ticman
Dec 5, 12:04 PM
Here in civilized Connecticut we only pay 6%. LOL
tpavur
Apr 21, 08:31 PM
Yet another sign Apple is going to kill the Mac Pro.
You'll see! With Final Cut Pro on it's deathbed there is no way the Mac Pro is sticking around!
/s
doubtful, this is a key switcher market... it would be crazy to axe the very thing that will continue to switch the PC builders/gamers over the next 5 years... this is a key ingredient to apple taking the industry over with time.
You'll see! With Final Cut Pro on it's deathbed there is no way the Mac Pro is sticking around!
/s
doubtful, this is a key switcher market... it would be crazy to axe the very thing that will continue to switch the PC builders/gamers over the next 5 years... this is a key ingredient to apple taking the industry over with time.
CIA
Apr 21, 06:38 PM
Add a couple SSD slots, and lose the superdrive & PCIe slots.
Could this become the fabled "headless iMac"?
I need:
8 Internal Bays.
More PCIe Slots.
Thunderbolt.
Keep Dual Optical Bays.
More Ram Slots.
Built in Fibre Channel (This is a stretch)
That should be a MacPro. What you guys want is that magic headless iMac. I want more, not less.
Working in Video I need the most horsepower possible. 32 Cores would be nice.
At home I can live with my iMac, but editing on it is a pain. A MiniMacPro might work there, but it will still cost 2k and people will bitch.
For work I can justify spending $8,000 on a high powered PRO machine.
Could this become the fabled "headless iMac"?
I need:
8 Internal Bays.
More PCIe Slots.
Thunderbolt.
Keep Dual Optical Bays.
More Ram Slots.
Built in Fibre Channel (This is a stretch)
That should be a MacPro. What you guys want is that magic headless iMac. I want more, not less.
Working in Video I need the most horsepower possible. 32 Cores would be nice.
At home I can live with my iMac, but editing on it is a pain. A MiniMacPro might work there, but it will still cost 2k and people will bitch.
For work I can justify spending $8,000 on a high powered PRO machine.
daneoni
Nov 22, 08:42 AM
I dunno, i dont think buying an iPhone is feasible for at least another year. For me at least, just not excited about it at all. First off, it'll be the first ever Apple phone meaning there will be some niggles, also it'll be a candy bar. The only candy bar phone i can tolerate is a smart phone. Some thing tells me the iPhone WON'T be a smartphone from the ground up. It'll be a phone with *some* smart phone abilities.
Also, like most recent rumored products from Apple, its probably been waaay overhyped and will end up being a dissapointment.
Palm shouldn't be so confident though. Apple is the same company that made Michael Dell eat his words.
People shouldn't discount palm yet either.
Also, like most recent rumored products from Apple, its probably been waaay overhyped and will end up being a dissapointment.
Palm shouldn't be so confident though. Apple is the same company that made Michael Dell eat his words.
People shouldn't discount palm yet either.
Al Coholic
Mar 29, 01:09 PM
Hilarious that companies are copying Apple rumors now.Right. Like Apple invented everything.
lol.
You fanboys crack me up.
lol.
You fanboys crack me up.

rtdunham
Mar 27, 09:38 AM
I've read the music-in-the-cloud might store only iTMS-purchased music. I hope that' s not the case. If I'm storing my music I want to store all of it, not have to keep track of which part of it's in the cloud and which remains hardware-based. Ditto for other media, for that matter.
Ja Di ksw
Apr 10, 08:12 AM
I had to click on this to see how the **** so many pages could be on a simple math problem. To those who got 288, kudos. To those who got 2, you're wrong. Sorry, no offense, but it's very simple math. Fivetoedsloth, dukebound85, others are right, with multiplication and division (or addition and subtraction) it goes from left to right.
Also, if you trust your Mac more than google, copy and paste the question into mac's Grapher program. It displays it correctly (with the 48 above the 2 and 9+3 off to the side) and gives you 288.
Also, if you trust your Mac more than google, copy and paste the question into mac's Grapher program. It displays it correctly (with the 48 above the 2 and 9+3 off to the side) and gives you 288.
paolo-
Apr 10, 04:40 PM
I don't think a typical mathematician would write this on paper using a "/", rather they would use a "_". Using / on anything more complex than x/y is very poor form.
Here, I assume / is being used as MacRumors isn't set up for writing equations. So I asked myself how would I write this in _ format?
I thought the answer would be-
48 (9 + 3)
2
Hence leading to 288.
The problem is / leads to confusion because you don't know if the person typing wanted to use a _ but couldn't, it is the intention and use that is confusing, not the symbol itself. Nobody should have to use PEDMAS for something silly like this- people should write equations in a decent format.
EDIT- using the x symbol is also something I don't like to do if I can avoid it. 5x6 or 5*6 not as good as 5(6) (or just xy if algebra is involved).
Agreed. Anyhow, writing math with ascii characters sucks, however you put. Most people who aren't used to see math in ascii see / as a ______ and not as a direct translation of � or (...)^-1. Other than the people who blindly follow PEMDAS and think multiplication has a precedence over division, like our lovely math teacher did a couple posts above, I think the poll would tend a lot more towards 288 if the question was posted with TeX (or another proper form).
I think this poll has more to do with how bad math can be written in plain characters than it has to do with the average person's understanding of math. Hey, I got it right, but I spend a lot of time using math and do see it a lot in plain characters, but I know most people aren't engineering students.
Here, I assume / is being used as MacRumors isn't set up for writing equations. So I asked myself how would I write this in _ format?
I thought the answer would be-
48 (9 + 3)
2
Hence leading to 288.
The problem is / leads to confusion because you don't know if the person typing wanted to use a _ but couldn't, it is the intention and use that is confusing, not the symbol itself. Nobody should have to use PEDMAS for something silly like this- people should write equations in a decent format.
EDIT- using the x symbol is also something I don't like to do if I can avoid it. 5x6 or 5*6 not as good as 5(6) (or just xy if algebra is involved).
Agreed. Anyhow, writing math with ascii characters sucks, however you put. Most people who aren't used to see math in ascii see / as a ______ and not as a direct translation of � or (...)^-1. Other than the people who blindly follow PEMDAS and think multiplication has a precedence over division, like our lovely math teacher did a couple posts above, I think the poll would tend a lot more towards 288 if the question was posted with TeX (or another proper form).
I think this poll has more to do with how bad math can be written in plain characters than it has to do with the average person's understanding of math. Hey, I got it right, but I spend a lot of time using math and do see it a lot in plain characters, but I know most people aren't engineering students.
tazinlwfl
Apr 25, 09:03 AM
This issue is really starting to frustrate me. iPhone users that I know are starting to freak out because they're getting their information from sensationalized media and don't really understand what's really going on.
That is one of the reasons Apple can't sit on their hands with this issue - there are too many people getting misinformation that are spreading it to others.
That is one of the reasons Apple can't sit on their hands with this issue - there are too many people getting misinformation that are spreading it to others.
bed
Mar 30, 10:36 PM
Auto Save/Restore like I said is just Time Machine in a different direction,
Auto Save / Versions is nothing like Time Machine or the technology it uses behind the scenes. Sure versions uses a similar UI for restoring, so this makes it 'the same'? See http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/01/insider_mac_os_x_10_7_lion_auto_save_file_versions_and_time_machine.html
Auto Save / Versions is nothing like Time Machine or the technology it uses behind the scenes. Sure versions uses a similar UI for restoring, so this makes it 'the same'? See http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/01/insider_mac_os_x_10_7_lion_auto_save_file_versions_and_time_machine.html
jwp1964
Jul 22, 09:50 PM
Does this current set of chips include some very low power consumption chips for use in the Apple ultra-portable I want so badly?:confused:
McGiord
Apr 10, 08:12 AM
gnasher729:
You were not allowed to vote twice.
So you voted for?
:D
You were not allowed to vote twice.
So you voted for?
:D
Multimedia
Aug 12, 02:32 AM
Sounds like you'll be getting a nice Penryn MBP then! ;) :D :cool:From the Intel Core Microarchitecture Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_Microarchitecture):
Penryn, dual-core, 45 nm shrink of Merom, 3�6 MiB L2
So you think Penryn pairs may be the 4 core mobile solution in 2008?
Penryn, dual-core, 45 nm shrink of Merom, 3�6 MiB L2
So you think Penryn pairs may be the 4 core mobile solution in 2008?
DeaconGraves
May 4, 05:47 PM
0% Operating Systems in the app store, yet somehow you know exactly how their going to change their politicly on both app store sales and general OS sales, while no one else has any hint that they're be any changes at all.
what else can you see in that crystal ball of yours?
Thank you for making my point for me. Last time I checked you were the one making predictions that Lion was going to be handled in the store exactly like every other app.
All I am saying is that there is no proof to point either way at the moment. But coming to a conclusion that Lion is going to be handled like every other app is like concluding that the iPhone SDK, when released, was going to be exactly like "web apps" were previously.
what else can you see in that crystal ball of yours?
Thank you for making my point for me. Last time I checked you were the one making predictions that Lion was going to be handled in the store exactly like every other app.
All I am saying is that there is no proof to point either way at the moment. But coming to a conclusion that Lion is going to be handled like every other app is like concluding that the iPhone SDK, when released, was going to be exactly like "web apps" were previously.
Benjy91
May 4, 04:10 PM
Just preferred?
That only means an Option right? Still going to be DVD/USB Stick?
Because if it was App Store only, what about people with Leopard or earlier?
That only means an Option right? Still going to be DVD/USB Stick?
Because if it was App Store only, what about people with Leopard or earlier?
pack
Apr 7, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the class act.
it was a joke in reference to your snarky comment relax.
Hey bro look on the bright side atleast we have bing now on appstore!
it was a joke in reference to your snarky comment relax.
Hey bro look on the bright side atleast we have bing now on appstore!
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar