Multimedia
Jul 24, 11:49 AM
I'm going to be using my laptop for teaching in the fall, which means some fairly strenuous 3D molecular rendering, large movies, wireless internet and standard keynote (all simultaneously, of course), as well as the standard day-to-day chores.
I could manage with my ageing G4 AlBook (it continues to run like a champ, but it's a bit slow for the 3D molecular rendering, and it staggers a little with the big animations) but it occurred to me that, even with daily backups, should I have a catastrophic system failure, I couldn't get a replacement in time for the next lecture. So I've decided to buy a new laptop, and keep my venerable G4 AlBook as a backup system.
But I want any new system to be 64-bit, and otherwise as 'future-proof' as possible, so I'm going to hold out for the new memrom-based MBPs. I'm really excited about the possibility of going top-of-the-line for the first time ever. I'm hoping for a system that looks like this:
17" anodized black MBP, with 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 1 GB RAM, a 7200 rpm 120 GB HD, 802.11n, and a blu-ray Superdrive. Should be just over $3k with my educational discount, right?Some of your feature list is not imminent. Blu-ray is too expensive. 802.11n is still another 6+ months off. Merom tops out at 2.33GHz for now. :)
I could manage with my ageing G4 AlBook (it continues to run like a champ, but it's a bit slow for the 3D molecular rendering, and it staggers a little with the big animations) but it occurred to me that, even with daily backups, should I have a catastrophic system failure, I couldn't get a replacement in time for the next lecture. So I've decided to buy a new laptop, and keep my venerable G4 AlBook as a backup system.
But I want any new system to be 64-bit, and otherwise as 'future-proof' as possible, so I'm going to hold out for the new memrom-based MBPs. I'm really excited about the possibility of going top-of-the-line for the first time ever. I'm hoping for a system that looks like this:
17" anodized black MBP, with 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 1 GB RAM, a 7200 rpm 120 GB HD, 802.11n, and a blu-ray Superdrive. Should be just over $3k with my educational discount, right?Some of your feature list is not imminent. Blu-ray is too expensive. 802.11n is still another 6+ months off. Merom tops out at 2.33GHz for now. :)
Funkymonk
Apr 26, 04:01 PM
What makes a product "Best" in its category is defined by different people differently. For some people "best" is a free phone because they can't afford anything else. Some people pour over the specs and select the "best".
For me, "best" is the phone that operates the most intuitively to my way of thinking. I want something that I don't need to refer back to the manual to use its features. My Android Incredible came with a 8" x 11", 73 page manual that I need to use to operate the phone... that fact speaks volumes to what separates the Android from the "best."
did you need to use that manual to help operate the phone?
honestly I think android is just as intuitive and easy to use as ios. I can't believe people actually say they don't understand how to use android. for god sakes my 8 year old nephew figured out his dad's android phone after a 30 minutes of playing with it.
I prefer ios for it's elegance but android isn't tough to use at all...
For me, "best" is the phone that operates the most intuitively to my way of thinking. I want something that I don't need to refer back to the manual to use its features. My Android Incredible came with a 8" x 11", 73 page manual that I need to use to operate the phone... that fact speaks volumes to what separates the Android from the "best."
did you need to use that manual to help operate the phone?
honestly I think android is just as intuitive and easy to use as ios. I can't believe people actually say they don't understand how to use android. for god sakes my 8 year old nephew figured out his dad's android phone after a 30 minutes of playing with it.
I prefer ios for it's elegance but android isn't tough to use at all...
sth
Apr 20, 01:09 PM
Btw, why would Apple go back to messing up with their names?
+1, the 3GS name was neccessary to get future naming straight. There's no reason why they'd mess it up again on purpose now.
+1, the 3GS name was neccessary to get future naming straight. There's no reason why they'd mess it up again on purpose now.

chasemac
Aug 4, 01:02 AM
Never buy an apple product!!!
As soon as you do something new and better comes out!!!
AAAHHHHHH
I am typing this away on my new Macbook, Core 1 Duo; which i bought under the self-brainwashed reasoning that the MBP alone would see 2x2. Why you ask? Cuz I figured hey, the MB JUST came out, why refresh it every 2 months! The MBP has been out like 8 months, that makes sense.
I can only PRAY I am right.
No that my Macbook will be instant crap... I just COULD have waited until september.
Damn you apple...
You have a very good system.:confused: Your Macbook will not be crap. I really don't think the Macbook will get a processor upgrade yet. Not for another couple of months anyway.
As soon as you do something new and better comes out!!!
AAAHHHHHH
I am typing this away on my new Macbook, Core 1 Duo; which i bought under the self-brainwashed reasoning that the MBP alone would see 2x2. Why you ask? Cuz I figured hey, the MB JUST came out, why refresh it every 2 months! The MBP has been out like 8 months, that makes sense.
I can only PRAY I am right.
No that my Macbook will be instant crap... I just COULD have waited until september.
Damn you apple...
You have a very good system.:confused: Your Macbook will not be crap. I really don't think the Macbook will get a processor upgrade yet. Not for another couple of months anyway.
amols
Aug 4, 11:59 AM
Never buy an apple product!!!
As soon as you do something new and better comes out!!!
AAAHHHHHH
I am typing this away on my new Macbook, Core 1 Duo; which i bought under the self-brainwashed reasoning that the MBP alone would see 2x2. Why you ask? Cuz I figured hey, the MB JUST came out, why refresh it every 2 months! The MBP has been out like 8 months, that makes sense.
I can only PRAY I am right.
No that my Macbook will be instant crap... I just COULD have waited until september.
Damn you apple...
Don't worry, I say this now -NO MBP CPU UPDATE AT WWDC- or till December for that matter. MBP itself has its own issues to be fixed like overheating, battery life and slower superdrive. I would be happier if they fix these issues instead of putting slightly faster chip and producing more heat and moans. And even if they do, you won't see big difference in performance anyways. So just enjoy your MB while it lasts.
As soon as you do something new and better comes out!!!
AAAHHHHHH
I am typing this away on my new Macbook, Core 1 Duo; which i bought under the self-brainwashed reasoning that the MBP alone would see 2x2. Why you ask? Cuz I figured hey, the MB JUST came out, why refresh it every 2 months! The MBP has been out like 8 months, that makes sense.
I can only PRAY I am right.
No that my Macbook will be instant crap... I just COULD have waited until september.
Damn you apple...
Don't worry, I say this now -NO MBP CPU UPDATE AT WWDC- or till December for that matter. MBP itself has its own issues to be fixed like overheating, battery life and slower superdrive. I would be happier if they fix these issues instead of putting slightly faster chip and producing more heat and moans. And even if they do, you won't see big difference in performance anyways. So just enjoy your MB while it lasts.
Ommid
Apr 25, 01:25 PM
http://www.tvlogicusa.com/product/product.php?idx=40
3840x2160 resolution
56" Screen
10 bit color
Came out exactly a year ago.
Or one from Sharp (came out 4 years ago)
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/15/sharps-4k-x-2k-64-inch-ultra-high-res-monitor/
4096 x 2048 resolution
62" screen
Actually beasts! How do you know about those then?
I think the Dell 30 inch is still relatively higher PPI though right?
3840x2160 resolution
56" Screen
10 bit color
Came out exactly a year ago.
Or one from Sharp (came out 4 years ago)
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/15/sharps-4k-x-2k-64-inch-ultra-high-res-monitor/
4096 x 2048 resolution
62" screen
Actually beasts! How do you know about those then?
I think the Dell 30 inch is still relatively higher PPI though right?
smulji
Mar 30, 10:58 PM
Very true but those Macs are portables, not iMacs and certainly not the overpriced and overpowered Xeon server driven Mac Pro's that replaced the affordable and (at the time) upgradeable G4's and G5's we all used for our work. What happened to the dedicated 20/23/30" LCD CCFL Apple Cinema Display line, or even the Apple Studio Display line before them? Replaced with ONE 27" LED LCD based off the 27" iMac (basically an iMac without a computer). Times change, I get it, but why do they have to leave us power users who supported them before the iPod and need Apple systems for work behind? It's costing us thousands to switch to Windows systems and applications such as Avid and Premiere Pro/Adobe Suites.
IDevices are amazing, but please, don't make the already dwindling prosumers systems become iOS systems for the average Joe. There are a lot of people on here that are new comers from Apple's iPod/iPhone influx that don't know/understand what this is doing to those who really need OS X and affordable mid-towers and top notch displays again� and once built in California, now "designed" in California. Man, sad times for us and the states on that change...
pretty much the vast majority of electronic products are designed in the westernized world and manufactured in some third world country. Fortunate or unfortunate that's the reality.
IDevices are amazing, but please, don't make the already dwindling prosumers systems become iOS systems for the average Joe. There are a lot of people on here that are new comers from Apple's iPod/iPhone influx that don't know/understand what this is doing to those who really need OS X and affordable mid-towers and top notch displays again� and once built in California, now "designed" in California. Man, sad times for us and the states on that change...
pretty much the vast majority of electronic products are designed in the westernized world and manufactured in some third world country. Fortunate or unfortunate that's the reality.
ucfgrad93
May 2, 05:07 PM
I wanna play.
Reach9
Mar 28, 12:06 PM
Wow, this has to be bs. I cannot believe Apple won't introduce any hardware in WWDC '11.
They're planning on stretching the iPhone 4? Good job Apple, don't complain about losing customers now. If Apple releases the next iPhone after 2 years, then they are officially going to lose whatever market share they had.
I'm still going to wait for another announcement because every report said that there would be an iPhone 5 this summer, it makes no sense.
The iPhone 4 was a real refresh considering it was the first redesign in 2 years. The 3Gs was a smaller refresh than the iPhone 4 yet you still own one.
So in your world a 'real refresh' is when the externals change? Don't judge a book by it's cover, the 3GS was a massive upgrade.
They're planning on stretching the iPhone 4? Good job Apple, don't complain about losing customers now. If Apple releases the next iPhone after 2 years, then they are officially going to lose whatever market share they had.
I'm still going to wait for another announcement because every report said that there would be an iPhone 5 this summer, it makes no sense.
The iPhone 4 was a real refresh considering it was the first redesign in 2 years. The 3Gs was a smaller refresh than the iPhone 4 yet you still own one.
So in your world a 'real refresh' is when the externals change? Don't judge a book by it's cover, the 3GS was a massive upgrade.
MacAddict1978
Apr 25, 10:42 AM
And with the patriot act the telecos let the government move in and access data without warrants. Yet everyone seems fine with this. However, the instant your phone has a database of cell phone towers it is something nefarious. Sigh. It really would be nice if the real privacy concerns were addressed and not this low hanging fruit of a cache on your phone.
Agreed. Google's darling Android doesn't just track cell towers. They've found it recording wi-fi networks near the user as well and transmitting that data... like every couple of minutes. (No wonder the batteries don't last on droid for more than 3-5 hours). I wish I could find the link to the article I read that in. It's certain models that have been found to do it.... right down to your GPS coordinates. Why does Google need to know this? And their users are now inadvertently spying on other people. Google has no rights to info on my wi-fi network just because someone drove past my house with an Android phone in the car.
Yet I use Google every day, but I at least know they're watching me.
http://youtu.be/7YvAYIJSSZY
Agreed. Google's darling Android doesn't just track cell towers. They've found it recording wi-fi networks near the user as well and transmitting that data... like every couple of minutes. (No wonder the batteries don't last on droid for more than 3-5 hours). I wish I could find the link to the article I read that in. It's certain models that have been found to do it.... right down to your GPS coordinates. Why does Google need to know this? And their users are now inadvertently spying on other people. Google has no rights to info on my wi-fi network just because someone drove past my house with an Android phone in the car.
Yet I use Google every day, but I at least know they're watching me.
http://youtu.be/7YvAYIJSSZY
rmwebs
Apr 20, 03:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)
Apple is also gunning for the iPad 3 to be released alongside it but I doubt it'll end UO that way.
No, they aren't. Don't post complete garbage. They have no need to release an iPad again this year. How many times have you ever see Apple do a product refresh in the same year? Every single major Apple product runs on a yearly refresh, with a couple of months either side to handle any possible delays.
iPod Classic:
9/2009
9/2008
9/2007
9/2006
10/2005
iPod Touch:
9/2010
9/2009
9/2008
iPod Nano:
9/2010
9/2009
9/2008
9/2007
9/2006
Mac Mini:
6/2010
10/2009 ~ Notable exception due to the 2 year update gap.
3/2009
8/2007
iPad:
3/2011
3/2010
iPhone:
6/2010
6/2009
7/2008 ~ Not a refresh, added a 16GB option to existing line.
2/2008
9/2007
Do you get it now? No iPad refresh until 2012...end of story.
Apple is also gunning for the iPad 3 to be released alongside it but I doubt it'll end UO that way.
No, they aren't. Don't post complete garbage. They have no need to release an iPad again this year. How many times have you ever see Apple do a product refresh in the same year? Every single major Apple product runs on a yearly refresh, with a couple of months either side to handle any possible delays.
iPod Classic:
9/2009
9/2008
9/2007
9/2006
10/2005
iPod Touch:
9/2010
9/2009
9/2008
iPod Nano:
9/2010
9/2009
9/2008
9/2007
9/2006
Mac Mini:
6/2010
10/2009 ~ Notable exception due to the 2 year update gap.
3/2009
8/2007
iPad:
3/2011
3/2010
iPhone:
6/2010
6/2009
7/2008 ~ Not a refresh, added a 16GB option to existing line.
2/2008
9/2007
Do you get it now? No iPad refresh until 2012...end of story.

Zeos
Nov 2, 02:48 PM
We use Sophos at work and love it! Can't wait to start using it at home too.
UPDATE: Nevermind. What a pain. It kills my Time Machine backups and freezes my computer.
UPDATE: Nevermind. What a pain. It kills my Time Machine backups and freezes my computer.
MacBoobsPro
Aug 7, 02:52 PM
Second why do you only save $300 when you opt for the 2Ghz model but the 3Ghz model costs $800 more???
Its relative to the processor you have selected. If you clicked the lower CPU the 3Ghz would be + even more. :rolleyes:
Its relative to the processor you have selected. If you clicked the lower CPU the 3Ghz would be + even more. :rolleyes:
balamw
Apr 11, 07:49 AM
SMHL
if you ever manage to climb down from that very high chair of yours, i humbly suggest you relax a bit by reading a good book.

Police Investigating iPhone 4G

iPhone 4G Design by ADR Studio

Brand New Apple iPhone 4G HD

iphone 4g unboxing 1 500x375

iPhone 4G concept!
if you ever manage to climb down from that very high chair of yours, i humbly suggest you relax a bit by reading a good book.
JoshH
Aug 7, 06:34 PM
Also, if you hit the EJECT key on the keyboard while you have two optical drives installed, will they both open?
Questions, questions...
On my dual G4, the Eject key opens the top tray, and Option Eject opens the bottom. I suspect it is the same...
Questions, questions...
On my dual G4, the Eject key opens the top tray, and Option Eject opens the bottom. I suspect it is the same...
iJawn108
Sep 15, 10:16 PM
New macbook pros will be made of tungsten maybe? :p
NebulaClash
Mar 28, 09:57 AM
Why because it doesn't have a dual core processor, 1GB of RAM and a 3D screen with 5G radio?
It's the usual geek misconception of what a device needs. They are all about checklist items. And thus they are missing the fact that a major paradigm shift is occurring in this world where the far larger non-tech audience is now buying tech toys. This audience does not know much about specs, and cares even less. All they care about is cost (Apple is right there in phones), how their apps work (just great on the iPhone), choice of apps (no one has more choice than Apple), and what they have read or heard about (Apple is the advertising leader).
So geeks will continue to stamp their feet and pout about checklists that Apple is "failing" at. The rest of the world will keep happily using their amazing iPhones.
It's the usual geek misconception of what a device needs. They are all about checklist items. And thus they are missing the fact that a major paradigm shift is occurring in this world where the far larger non-tech audience is now buying tech toys. This audience does not know much about specs, and cares even less. All they care about is cost (Apple is right there in phones), how their apps work (just great on the iPhone), choice of apps (no one has more choice than Apple), and what they have read or heard about (Apple is the advertising leader).
So geeks will continue to stamp their feet and pout about checklists that Apple is "failing" at. The rest of the world will keep happily using their amazing iPhones.
rodriguise
May 6, 03:51 AM
I can see apple maybe putting an ARM chip in the macbook so it can run in low power tablet mode, but to complete replace the CPU really makes no sense. However lots that the do seldom makes sense, so who knows. The reason I won't be buying a mac again is simply because they are severly underpowered, gaming really sucks on them compared to what you can get on a PC.
heisetax
Aug 2, 02:59 PM
Then, unless it is a pharmaceutical, national security, or some other VII, the company needs to get with the times. So called intellectual property is so last century and quite honestly patents are pretty useless in these fast changing times.
My take is that Steve will spend much time on numbers (how many units sold, how well the Intel switch is going) and then introduce the Pro Line. Expect a bit on Leopard and probably a jab at Vista. Although, that might not happen if Steve has what's-her-name out again to introduce the Universal Office. I would not be suprised if Steve has someone from Adobe out to introduce a Universal suite... for sometime in the future.
Wouldn't it be something if Apple came out with a new piece of hardware. Maybe there will be a new strategic alliance introduced.
I thought that MS said they they would have separate versions of Office for the PPC & Intel Macs. That's what I expect from them when you look bak at Office X, which was really only a side grade from OS 9 to OS 10 support. So no Universal Office, just a PPC Office & an Intel Office. Then in a year when Steve Jobs declares the PPC Mac a dead item, the PPC version will be gone.
I'd rather see an UB version as then if I do get an Intel Mac I could move the software over. But then MS couldn't sell me a new copy. Maybe a special price of $10 or so off if you purchase both versions together.
Bill the TaxMan
My take is that Steve will spend much time on numbers (how many units sold, how well the Intel switch is going) and then introduce the Pro Line. Expect a bit on Leopard and probably a jab at Vista. Although, that might not happen if Steve has what's-her-name out again to introduce the Universal Office. I would not be suprised if Steve has someone from Adobe out to introduce a Universal suite... for sometime in the future.
Wouldn't it be something if Apple came out with a new piece of hardware. Maybe there will be a new strategic alliance introduced.
I thought that MS said they they would have separate versions of Office for the PPC & Intel Macs. That's what I expect from them when you look bak at Office X, which was really only a side grade from OS 9 to OS 10 support. So no Universal Office, just a PPC Office & an Intel Office. Then in a year when Steve Jobs declares the PPC Mac a dead item, the PPC version will be gone.
I'd rather see an UB version as then if I do get an Intel Mac I could move the software over. But then MS couldn't sell me a new copy. Maybe a special price of $10 or so off if you purchase both versions together.
Bill the TaxMan
ticman
Nov 21, 09:15 AM
good morning Wclyffe.
question on your comment about BlueAnt. I too have used BT Blueant and loved it. When I got the iPhone it would not, however, recognize my contact list, BUT would let me talk and listen to a phone call I originated on the iPhone.
With the tomtom dock, if the BT isn't acceptable per the above comments, how would I use the BlueAnt?
With the car kit I assume handsfree dialing still requires either holding iphone button and doing voice dialing or favorite list or contact list. BlueAnt of course allowed one touch button and "call so and so" command.
Appreciate clarification.
Have you done anymore review of the Navigon car kit?
thanks,
Mike
question on your comment about BlueAnt. I too have used BT Blueant and loved it. When I got the iPhone it would not, however, recognize my contact list, BUT would let me talk and listen to a phone call I originated on the iPhone.
With the tomtom dock, if the BT isn't acceptable per the above comments, how would I use the BlueAnt?
With the car kit I assume handsfree dialing still requires either holding iphone button and doing voice dialing or favorite list or contact list. BlueAnt of course allowed one touch button and "call so and so" command.
Appreciate clarification.
Have you done anymore review of the Navigon car kit?
thanks,
Mike
iGuy
Nov 26, 12:29 PM
although the 8" from previous rumours may be a tad small
I've been looking for something that is more practical (read larger) than a Palm Pilot but smaller than a small (read 12 inch) notebook.
Essentially I'm looking for a larger PDA. One that I can use with a bluetooth keyboard. I don't need it to be a fully powered notebook and at around $3,000 UPCs are far too expensive.
Something around $300 to $700 canadian, taxes in would be about right. I also don't need it to be a phone. I like my RAZR.
Just my $0.02 CAD.
~iGuy
I've been looking for something that is more practical (read larger) than a Palm Pilot but smaller than a small (read 12 inch) notebook.
Essentially I'm looking for a larger PDA. One that I can use with a bluetooth keyboard. I don't need it to be a fully powered notebook and at around $3,000 UPCs are far too expensive.
Something around $300 to $700 canadian, taxes in would be about right. I also don't need it to be a phone. I like my RAZR.
Just my $0.02 CAD.
~iGuy
hewsthat
Aug 11, 02:21 PM
The iMac was the first to go to intel.
I'm holding off for the new MBP because from what I've seen, the current ones still have issues. It was Apple's first Mac to go to Intel, and although they've made some changes, it's still "first generation". I'm hoping the next revision will have more than just a processor upgrade.
Correction, your both wrong...they both went intel at the same time, January 12, 2006
I'm holding off for the new MBP because from what I've seen, the current ones still have issues. It was Apple's first Mac to go to Intel, and although they've made some changes, it's still "first generation". I'm hoping the next revision will have more than just a processor upgrade.
Correction, your both wrong...they both went intel at the same time, January 12, 2006
tbrinkma
Mar 29, 07:05 PM
The plant with mass rates of suicide is in China.
Yep, the plant with the 'mass rates of suicide' (which are lower than both the national rate, and the rate in areas similar to that plant), is in China. (It's amazing how memes stick around and get repeated in spite of the fact that they aren't supported by any data.)
Yep, the plant with the 'mass rates of suicide' (which are lower than both the national rate, and the rate in areas similar to that plant), is in China. (It's amazing how memes stick around and get repeated in spite of the fact that they aren't supported by any data.)
DiamondMac
Mar 28, 12:38 PM
So your attitude is "if I can't have it, I don't want anyone to have it."?
Whether it comes out or not, you won't be getting one. So why would it matter either way?
He simply said it personally for him
Not sure why you are taking it so seriously. Calm down
Whether it comes out or not, you won't be getting one. So why would it matter either way?
He simply said it personally for him
Not sure why you are taking it so seriously. Calm down
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar