danielwsmithee
Aug 4, 11:03 AM
How many people plan to dump their Core Duo Macs for Core 2 Duo Macs? I don't plan on dumping my 20" iMac Core Duo until some other new feature are added besides just a processor upgrade. Specifically I would like to see 802.11n, Firewire 800 and Possibly a TV Tuner (Elgato's products are pretty good already so I can live without that feature). What would make me jump immediately is a 23" iMac with 2.66 Ghz Conroe and a X1800 or X1900 Video card. Of course the thing would cost $2999.
2nyRiggz
Aug 7, 02:06 PM
If I had the money....I might of float away with a maxed out Pro but knowing that I can change up things is sweet enough....exactly what I was waiting for.
Bless
Bless
Steve121178
Apr 26, 04:38 PM
These smartphone stats are quite interesting. We have a open plan office and when I look around me I see about 5 iPhone 4's, 3 iPhone 3GS's and 1 android. :rolleyes:
Also look at how much money Apple has in the bank now in relation to their smartphone market share...
What's that got to do with anything?
Also look at how much money Apple has in the bank now in relation to their smartphone market share...
What's that got to do with anything?
Furrybeagle
Apr 24, 06:34 PM
I�m interested in what Apple will do with the 15� MBP. If Apple doubled the resolution of the 1440x900 display, then going from a 1680x1050 MBP to this new 2880x1800 MBP means an increase in DPI but a decrease in viewable information.

seek3r
Apr 22, 12:40 AM
You are right, I fold. I know nothing about 19" racks (1.80 meters tall and 150 kg. in weight), and nothing about conditioned server rooms with dual power feeds at all. Flight cases with equipment I also know nothing about. I'm sorry I'm doubting your knowledge and insight.
You do realize "rack *mountable*" doesn't mean "has to be in a rack to function"?
Over the years I've had plenty of mountable equipment that for one reason or another didn't live in the machine room, or lived on a shelf in the machine room instead of on a rack (or on a table in the case of several servers and one particularly finicky disk array a while back).... Simply giving the option of rack mounting doesn't dictate it has to be racked remotely in your datacenter!
You do realize "rack *mountable*" doesn't mean "has to be in a rack to function"?
Over the years I've had plenty of mountable equipment that for one reason or another didn't live in the machine room, or lived on a shelf in the machine room instead of on a rack (or on a table in the case of several servers and one particularly finicky disk array a while back).... Simply giving the option of rack mounting doesn't dictate it has to be racked remotely in your datacenter!
hewsthat
Aug 11, 02:45 PM
And those design changes still have to be made in the future if you want to run kentsfield. Since those changes are inevitable, why not make them sooner and take advantage of cheaper chips earlier?
Since the intel switch, apple has ALREADY broken away from "what they've always done". We saw a speed bump in MPB before it even shipped, and another bump not long after that.
No, they were *announced* at the same time. iMac shipped immediately, MBP shipped weeks later. So the intel iMacs did arrive first.
i stand corrected. the macbook pros didn't ship till febuary though they could be preordered. The iMacs began shipment in january right after the announcment
Since the intel switch, apple has ALREADY broken away from "what they've always done". We saw a speed bump in MPB before it even shipped, and another bump not long after that.
No, they were *announced* at the same time. iMac shipped immediately, MBP shipped weeks later. So the intel iMacs did arrive first.
i stand corrected. the macbook pros didn't ship till febuary though they could be preordered. The iMacs began shipment in january right after the announcment
mambodancer
Mar 27, 09:39 AM
I get Gruber's line of reason here, but in the long term it doesn't make sense to me. If we get an additional iPad this September with a Retina Display, what happens to the 2012 iPad? Will it simply receive a bump in resolution, but lack Retina?
All (newer) iOS devices other than the iPad have some form of Retina Display. All iOS devices have an A4 chip (which will become A5 this year). iOS 4.2 unified the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch lines. Clearly Retina is the one missing feature that's coming to iPad. All iPads.
To me, it makes more sense that Apple would wait until they can build these in bulk, and sell them at the same price point, than to introduce a new top tier $800-$900 iPad (assuming that's what it is) with a Retina Display. Will it have 3 tiers of memory as well and two flavors of 3G? With those options we'll easily see it surpassing the price of a Macbook or Macbook Air. Not quite sure a device that expensive will spur Holiday sales. If we lived in that reality, people would be receiving Macbook Airs like they were stocking stuffers. But Apple's Q1 numbers show us devices that expensive don't move in the numbers that iPods, (subsidised) iPhones, and iPads do.
The only way this makes sense is if this "additional" September 2011 iPad, has other super features that warrant it's "special" release. An iPad Pro for example, with more memory, even more power, and Thunderbolt. Or if Apple decides to move the iPad introductions to Q1 and do away iPod special events. If iPods are intro'd at this new event, it would be in passing.
New yearly lineup :
iOS event - late March / mid April
iPhone event - June
iPad event - September
iPod / AppleTV (quiet release) - September
In this "Guess" Gruber is flat out wrong and just speculating. I think other journalist agree that there will most likely NOT be another iPad release in 2011.
A real journalist, of which there seems so few these days, would have to ask: "Who manufactures these displays." "Are they able to manufacture enough to meet current demand and future orders for this product?" "Can existing production lines be converted easily to manufacture new products without impacting existing lines?" "Are there any manufacturers ramping for an unannounced product, especially if Apple is its customer?" "Who would be the display manufacturers suppliers of parts that might also indicate a shift in production to a new product?" "How Might the global economy and events in Japan impact supply?" "How long does it take to build the product and in sufficient number meeting QC and then ship it an assembly plant?" "Where is the assembly plant for the product and is there unusual activity at the plant?" "Has anyone actually TALKED to someone who works at these facilities?"
All (newer) iOS devices other than the iPad have some form of Retina Display. All iOS devices have an A4 chip (which will become A5 this year). iOS 4.2 unified the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch lines. Clearly Retina is the one missing feature that's coming to iPad. All iPads.
To me, it makes more sense that Apple would wait until they can build these in bulk, and sell them at the same price point, than to introduce a new top tier $800-$900 iPad (assuming that's what it is) with a Retina Display. Will it have 3 tiers of memory as well and two flavors of 3G? With those options we'll easily see it surpassing the price of a Macbook or Macbook Air. Not quite sure a device that expensive will spur Holiday sales. If we lived in that reality, people would be receiving Macbook Airs like they were stocking stuffers. But Apple's Q1 numbers show us devices that expensive don't move in the numbers that iPods, (subsidised) iPhones, and iPads do.
The only way this makes sense is if this "additional" September 2011 iPad, has other super features that warrant it's "special" release. An iPad Pro for example, with more memory, even more power, and Thunderbolt. Or if Apple decides to move the iPad introductions to Q1 and do away iPod special events. If iPods are intro'd at this new event, it would be in passing.
New yearly lineup :
iOS event - late March / mid April
iPhone event - June
iPad event - September
iPod / AppleTV (quiet release) - September
In this "Guess" Gruber is flat out wrong and just speculating. I think other journalist agree that there will most likely NOT be another iPad release in 2011.
A real journalist, of which there seems so few these days, would have to ask: "Who manufactures these displays." "Are they able to manufacture enough to meet current demand and future orders for this product?" "Can existing production lines be converted easily to manufacture new products without impacting existing lines?" "Are there any manufacturers ramping for an unannounced product, especially if Apple is its customer?" "Who would be the display manufacturers suppliers of parts that might also indicate a shift in production to a new product?" "How Might the global economy and events in Japan impact supply?" "How long does it take to build the product and in sufficient number meeting QC and then ship it an assembly plant?" "Where is the assembly plant for the product and is there unusual activity at the plant?" "Has anyone actually TALKED to someone who works at these facilities?"
okboy
Apr 23, 06:28 PM
The iPhone, before the current model had a screen res of 320 x 480
I think he's thinking of pixel density.
I think he's thinking of pixel density.
Thunderhawks
Apr 6, 05:50 PM
An orgy of Androids? That sounds scary. Almost as scary as a bunch of Apples having an orgy.
The latter makes apple sauce, which to me is more a peel ing:-)
The latter makes apple sauce, which to me is more a peel ing:-)
dgree03
Mar 29, 01:08 PM
That reads quite a bit different from Amazon's "... or as we determine is necessary to provide the Service ..."
Yes amazons is more transparent and to the point. Apples is more vague. Ill take transparent over vague "in my interpretation" any day.
Yes amazons is more transparent and to the point. Apples is more vague. Ill take transparent over vague "in my interpretation" any day.
mds
Apr 26, 03:45 PM
Just a sample size of one, but I'm a good example of a customer that Apple might not get:
Sprint user for years. Good discounts, etc. and the service has worked fine for me over the years. For me to switch carriers for an iPhone I'd spend $40-$50 a month more. As much as I want an iphone (I own a 3gs I use internationally and really like it), unless Apple and Sprint make a deal I'm probably gonna end up with an Android phone to replace my barely functional Palm Pre. I'm heading out of the country for a couple months, hopefully Sprint has the iPhone when I return, haha...
Sprint user for years. Good discounts, etc. and the service has worked fine for me over the years. For me to switch carriers for an iPhone I'd spend $40-$50 a month more. As much as I want an iphone (I own a 3gs I use internationally and really like it), unless Apple and Sprint make a deal I'm probably gonna end up with an Android phone to replace my barely functional Palm Pre. I'm heading out of the country for a couple months, hopefully Sprint has the iPhone when I return, haha...

BlizzardBomb
Jul 23, 12:47 PM
Why not? Conroe will have availability by WWDC, IIRC, and Merom won't be far behind- they could announce a MBP with Merom, shipping in two weeks after WWDC.
MBP with Merom, iMac with Conroe, Mac Pros with either Conroe and a Woodcrest quad or all Woodcrest, MacBooks with Merom or Yonah w/price drop, and Mac Mini price drop back to $499.
Just because something is available doesn't mean it will be updated.
MBP with Merom, iMac with Conroe, Mac Pros with either Conroe and a Woodcrest quad or all Woodcrest, MacBooks with Merom or Yonah w/price drop, and Mac Mini price drop back to $499.
Just because something is available doesn't mean it will be updated.
cube
May 6, 06:18 AM
Because SPARC is current x86 technology. ;)
That has nothing to do. Some people are talking about dual processor laptops as if it were science fiction here.
That has nothing to do. Some people are talking about dual processor laptops as if it were science fiction here.

�algiris
Mar 31, 07:38 AM
Some older iMacs with Core 2 Duo were not supported in the first Lion Beta. Has this been changed or updated with this release?
My 7,1 was fine.
My 7,1 was fine.
42streetsdown
May 6, 01:54 AM
No.. They make mobile processors. Low power usage.
If you read the article again, it ays the rumor is for laptops. Very doubtful apple will move the desktop line to an ARM processor as there is nothing that competes with the current tech.
For laptops (specifically the air), the move may make sense. I don't see apple moving the whole macbook pro line to ARM. maybe the airs and the regular macbooks.
It still wouldn't be worth the software fragmentation that would take place. Plus, Intel has continued to make their possessors more power efficient.
If you read the article again, it ays the rumor is for laptops. Very doubtful apple will move the desktop line to an ARM processor as there is nothing that competes with the current tech.
For laptops (specifically the air), the move may make sense. I don't see apple moving the whole macbook pro line to ARM. maybe the airs and the regular macbooks.
It still wouldn't be worth the software fragmentation that would take place. Plus, Intel has continued to make their possessors more power efficient.
dXTC
Mar 29, 02:01 PM
Yeah you bring up a good point. I can't imagine assembling iPods is the most engaging activity ever, and most Americans would probably scoff at the kind of labor they seem to think is below them.
Kind of similar to when they raise an uproar about illegal immigrants taking all the jobs away, when they wouldn't be caught dead doing the kind of work some immigrants do.
Hammer, meet nail head. I'm an American, and unfortunately I must agree with iliketyla's assessment. There is this incredible sense of entitlement that has pervaded American culture. So many people want at least $20 per hour, but [insert deity or lack of one here] forbid they should lift more than two pounds.
Enter the illegal immigrants, who find the pay good enough to live on, not to mention the location, location, location. Hmm... $5 an hour harvesting lettuce heads for hours on end, or dodging drug-cartel bullets in Ciudad Juarez day and night. Not too tough a decision for me, and IMHO one worth the risk of getting caught by US border police.
Kind of similar to when they raise an uproar about illegal immigrants taking all the jobs away, when they wouldn't be caught dead doing the kind of work some immigrants do.
Hammer, meet nail head. I'm an American, and unfortunately I must agree with iliketyla's assessment. There is this incredible sense of entitlement that has pervaded American culture. So many people want at least $20 per hour, but [insert deity or lack of one here] forbid they should lift more than two pounds.
Enter the illegal immigrants, who find the pay good enough to live on, not to mention the location, location, location. Hmm... $5 an hour harvesting lettuce heads for hours on end, or dodging drug-cartel bullets in Ciudad Juarez day and night. Not too tough a decision for me, and IMHO one worth the risk of getting caught by US border police.

navguy
Jan 2, 03:42 PM
Been using the TomTom car kit since Xmas ... very useful ... and i have no problems with rotation when hiting bumps :)
question:
when window mount, there is a small slightly domed section that looks like it houses the GPS antennae (total guess); however, when i dash mount this section of mount faces down into the dash ... does anyone know where the antennae is? and whether dash mount negatively impacts the receiving signal?
thanks!
question:
when window mount, there is a small slightly domed section that looks like it houses the GPS antennae (total guess); however, when i dash mount this section of mount faces down into the dash ... does anyone know where the antennae is? and whether dash mount negatively impacts the receiving signal?
thanks!
jayhawk11
May 4, 02:54 PM
Why is everyone freaking out about re-installing the OS? Lion creates a recovery partition as part of the install process. If you need to reinstall, just reboot and hold down option...pick the recovery partition and voila.
EDH667
Dec 13, 09:39 AM
That makes sense ... thanks for sharing!
If Magellan handles bluetooth a bit more logical, and Magellan supports all Apple devices (iPhone & iPod Touch) and Magellan can handle covers/skins ... it's worth the $10 more ... too bad they (or Apples approval process) missed the Xmas rush ... TomTom may see some exchanges in early Jan for Magellan.
I agree! I'm on my second TomTom car kit and continue to have problems with the Bluetooth speaker phone cutting in and out so you cannot hear the other person's conversation. I raised the issue with TomTom support and their reply was;
"I have forwarded the information that you provided to our product development team for review. We often use customer feedback as initiative to add or change the features of our products. Thank you for your feedback relating to this issue. We hope to have this issue resolved with a future update to the TomTom application."
I have a Magellan Premium car kit on order and will take my second TomTom car kit back to Apple for a refund!
If Magellan handles bluetooth a bit more logical, and Magellan supports all Apple devices (iPhone & iPod Touch) and Magellan can handle covers/skins ... it's worth the $10 more ... too bad they (or Apples approval process) missed the Xmas rush ... TomTom may see some exchanges in early Jan for Magellan.
I agree! I'm on my second TomTom car kit and continue to have problems with the Bluetooth speaker phone cutting in and out so you cannot hear the other person's conversation. I raised the issue with TomTom support and their reply was;
"I have forwarded the information that you provided to our product development team for review. We often use customer feedback as initiative to add or change the features of our products. Thank you for your feedback relating to this issue. We hope to have this issue resolved with a future update to the TomTom application."
I have a Magellan Premium car kit on order and will take my second TomTom car kit back to Apple for a refund!
M2M
Apr 5, 01:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
Low! Apple just low!
Low! Apple just low!
gorgeousninja
Apr 20, 05:40 AM
This will definitely be the first iteration of the iPhone that I will pass on. It's certainly not much of an upgrade from the iPhone 4.
you know that do you..it being still 6months away and all?
you know that do you..it being still 6months away and all?
Howdr
Apr 5, 03:52 PM
Why is Apple bothered by jailbreaking? Why does Apple oppose jailbreaking? Again, as a company which tightly controls the user experience of their devices and doesn't like news such as security flaws, I'm sure there are many things which bother them about jailbreaking, but again there is probably one primary cause: software piracy. Jailbreaking enables software piracy and there's not a whole lot that even the jailbreaking community can do about that.
Northgrove
Apr 9, 01:59 PM
Stay classy, Steve :p
You can't say they're just doing it to ruin it for others though, since they have had trouble satisfying the iPad 2 demands as it is.
You can't say they're just doing it to ruin it for others though, since they have had trouble satisfying the iPad 2 demands as it is.
pmz
Mar 28, 11:41 AM
Apple would only be hurting themselves if they waited until the Fall.
People are ready for a new iPhone. If it doesn't come out by June, some will lose patience and buy an iPhone 4, or worse, will be tempted by the false promises coming from every phone offering 4G service.
People are ready for a new iPhone. If it doesn't come out by June, some will lose patience and buy an iPhone 4, or worse, will be tempted by the false promises coming from every phone offering 4G service.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar