
zed
Apr 25, 09:23 AM
I spent two weeks in Ireland with my iPhone 4 and had location services + data and cell service turned off and it did not track my location at all during the entire stay. I did use wifi almost every day while there... and really only had my phone b/c the camera in the iPhone4 is much much better than my old Fujifilm point-and-shoot.

dpruitt
Mar 29, 08:46 AM
Okay, nice, guys. This is MacRumors, not AmazonRumors. Who gives a crap about Amazon? Move along now.

AndyK
May 8, 03:09 AM
Finally, they'll be charging what the service is worth!
This.
This.
masterhiggins
Mar 29, 07:39 PM
Well, I'm glad to see that Macrumors and Apple are at least able to focus on the big picture: product availability.
Big D 51
Apr 9, 07:26 PM
this is the only way to do it, why is there even an other answer?
That's what I thought.
That's what I thought.
JesterJJZ
Apr 21, 04:52 PM
Here's a quick scale / mockup
Does not like.
Does not like.
macrumors12345
Apr 26, 02:48 PM
The "overall user base" and "purchases from Sept-to-March" numbers are primarily pre-Verizon iPhone and thus provide little insight on current sales. However, the survey on consumers currently planning to buy smartphones is quite interesting as it confirms the (very limited) existing data on current sales.
From the all the hit counter data, plus VZW and ATT quarterly releases, my best guesses for *current* iPhone vs Android sales have been roughly:
ATT: iPhone outsells Android 4-to-1 (80% iPhone)
VZW: iPhone outsells Android 2-to-1 (66% iPhone)
Sprint + T-Mo: Android outsells iPhone infinity-to-1 (0% iPhone)
Each group above has roughly one-third of the US mobile market, so overall iPhone share should be 0.33*0.8 + 0.33*0.66 +0.33*0 = 48%. This is exactly the number from the Nielsen survey regarding consumers currently planning to buy a smartphone (30% iPhone vs 33% Android = 47.6% iPhone share).
From the all the hit counter data, plus VZW and ATT quarterly releases, my best guesses for *current* iPhone vs Android sales have been roughly:
ATT: iPhone outsells Android 4-to-1 (80% iPhone)
VZW: iPhone outsells Android 2-to-1 (66% iPhone)
Sprint + T-Mo: Android outsells iPhone infinity-to-1 (0% iPhone)
Each group above has roughly one-third of the US mobile market, so overall iPhone share should be 0.33*0.8 + 0.33*0.66 +0.33*0 = 48%. This is exactly the number from the Nielsen survey regarding consumers currently planning to buy a smartphone (30% iPhone vs 33% Android = 47.6% iPhone share).
Boomchukalaka
Mar 28, 11:52 AM
Let's not forget that pre-iPhone smart phones were updated every couple of years (hardware wise, maybe some aesthetic changes if anything.) We'd see a refresh at CES, then a couple years after CES it would suddenly be on the shelves, probably with the same CPU, maybe a bit more RAM and the next version of Palm OS / Windows Mobile (Remember those? LOL).
Finally... bad move Apple? Really? You mean like, Apple should have decided to go back in time and prevent the earthquake and tsunami or something? Everyone is debating whether or not this is a "smart move" by Apple. If this is true, they don't have a choice! Supply constraints are supply constraints, there aren't other chip manufacturers without seriously sacrificing the iPhone's performance and reliability, and therefore it's reputation. For those of you unaware, this rumor, if true, is the result of a massive natural disaster that recently occurred in Japan, where a number of iPhone components come from! Yes they are assembled in China, but as the article stated, Chinese manufacturers aren't getting their parts from Japan like they usually do around this time.
It's crazy, people are freaking out talking about abandoning iPhones altogether because heaven forbid anyone wait a couple more months for something! I mean, it's what you want, but instead of waiting you'll "settle" for something else? Am I the only one who sees that flaw in logic? Maybe I'm biased because I didn't plan on being an iPhone 5 customer (no upgrade for another year and a half, so I'll be an iPhone 6 buyer), but I still think this whole conversation is silly. Apple is releasing much faster than anyone else had in the past, maybe not now, but had in the past, and Japan is a little inconvenienced right now, just in case you haven't watched the news.
Also, on Apple's hardware being outdated when it hit the shelves. It always had. I had a 1GHz phone when Apple released there 600 and something MHz iPhone (first gen). It finally hit near 1GHz (but not quite) with the iPhone 4, when there were ALREADY 1GHz phones out for a while (Droid Incredible, etc.) The software trumps the hardware, it's efficient enough it "feels" fast, that's why people buy iPhones, not because the hardware numbers are higher than on the competition.
+1 - possibly the smartest comment posted here
The effects of the earthquake and tsunami and power supply problems in Japan now will affect manufacturing across many industries, steel, automotive, and electronic component production chiefly among them. Apple will not be the only company to experience these issue.
Finally... bad move Apple? Really? You mean like, Apple should have decided to go back in time and prevent the earthquake and tsunami or something? Everyone is debating whether or not this is a "smart move" by Apple. If this is true, they don't have a choice! Supply constraints are supply constraints, there aren't other chip manufacturers without seriously sacrificing the iPhone's performance and reliability, and therefore it's reputation. For those of you unaware, this rumor, if true, is the result of a massive natural disaster that recently occurred in Japan, where a number of iPhone components come from! Yes they are assembled in China, but as the article stated, Chinese manufacturers aren't getting their parts from Japan like they usually do around this time.
It's crazy, people are freaking out talking about abandoning iPhones altogether because heaven forbid anyone wait a couple more months for something! I mean, it's what you want, but instead of waiting you'll "settle" for something else? Am I the only one who sees that flaw in logic? Maybe I'm biased because I didn't plan on being an iPhone 5 customer (no upgrade for another year and a half, so I'll be an iPhone 6 buyer), but I still think this whole conversation is silly. Apple is releasing much faster than anyone else had in the past, maybe not now, but had in the past, and Japan is a little inconvenienced right now, just in case you haven't watched the news.
Also, on Apple's hardware being outdated when it hit the shelves. It always had. I had a 1GHz phone when Apple released there 600 and something MHz iPhone (first gen). It finally hit near 1GHz (but not quite) with the iPhone 4, when there were ALREADY 1GHz phones out for a while (Droid Incredible, etc.) The software trumps the hardware, it's efficient enough it "feels" fast, that's why people buy iPhones, not because the hardware numbers are higher than on the competition.
+1 - possibly the smartest comment posted here
The effects of the earthquake and tsunami and power supply problems in Japan now will affect manufacturing across many industries, steel, automotive, and electronic component production chiefly among them. Apple will not be the only company to experience these issue.
cav23j
Mar 26, 10:49 PM
In the keynote, didn't Jobs say 2011 was the year of the iPad 2? I thought that pretty much smashed the rumors of an iPad 3 this year.
means nothing
people are reading too much into that slide
means nothing
people are reading too much into that slide

doubleusn
Mar 29, 09:34 AM
Looks nice as a place to store off site backup type stuff, but I still don't see how all this space as a digital music locker for streaming (again the back up part is nice) is all that viable at this time (Amazon, Apple, whoever) as data is getting capped more and more, and will cost more money as more things look to help you blow past your data-cap.
iTunes on iPhone in auto = no data usage, no interruptions.
iTunes on iPhone in auto streaming = data usage, and stream issues ...3G is not everywhere yet.
It is the future, but I until the US cell company's play ball on a cost effective way to do it (the att/tmoe merger won't help) then I don't see this working so well in the US.
iTunes on iPhone in auto = no data usage, no interruptions.
iTunes on iPhone in auto streaming = data usage, and stream issues ...3G is not everywhere yet.
It is the future, but I until the US cell company's play ball on a cost effective way to do it (the att/tmoe merger won't help) then I don't see this working so well in the US.

rjohnstone
Apr 18, 03:21 PM
There wasn't a phone that looked or worked like the iPhone until the iPhone. Now how many clones are there?
There wasn't a Tablet that looked or worked like the iPad until the iPad. Now how many clones are there?
Apple is absolutely justified in going after them for copying their UI and design as far as I can see. I'm shocked that it's taken this long.
There was at least one phone that "looked" like an iPhone before anyone new what the iPhone looked like.
Does the Prada ring a bell? Probably not to most of you, but it was first to market with that basic "look".
As for the UI, old WinMo phones had grids of icons on the desktop, so again, not a unique "look".
Next one will be arguing about the spacing or the number of icons per row. Nit picking I say.
The iPad is not "innovative" in it's looks or design either. It's minimalism at it's best. So simplistic that it will be tough to defend in court. It is a logical basic design for a tablet.
As for how it functions, it's technically the iPhone with a larger screen. So the argument of functionality fails as many devices functioned similarly prior to the release of the iPad. Screen size is irrelevant.
Now I do believe with the icons Samsung chose to use combined with the layout, one could logically argue that Samsung was copying the overall UI from iOS. I believe that is where Apple's case is with the phones.
Easy for Samsung to remedy. Ditch the TouchWiz UI... it sucks anyway.
Still failing to see the argument on the Galaxy tabs though... Honeycomb looks nothing like iOS ad Samsung hasn't uglied them up with the old TouchWiz UI overlay.
There wasn't a Tablet that looked or worked like the iPad until the iPad. Now how many clones are there?
Apple is absolutely justified in going after them for copying their UI and design as far as I can see. I'm shocked that it's taken this long.
There was at least one phone that "looked" like an iPhone before anyone new what the iPhone looked like.
Does the Prada ring a bell? Probably not to most of you, but it was first to market with that basic "look".
As for the UI, old WinMo phones had grids of icons on the desktop, so again, not a unique "look".
Next one will be arguing about the spacing or the number of icons per row. Nit picking I say.
The iPad is not "innovative" in it's looks or design either. It's minimalism at it's best. So simplistic that it will be tough to defend in court. It is a logical basic design for a tablet.
As for how it functions, it's technically the iPhone with a larger screen. So the argument of functionality fails as many devices functioned similarly prior to the release of the iPad. Screen size is irrelevant.
Now I do believe with the icons Samsung chose to use combined with the layout, one could logically argue that Samsung was copying the overall UI from iOS. I believe that is where Apple's case is with the phones.
Easy for Samsung to remedy. Ditch the TouchWiz UI... it sucks anyway.
Still failing to see the argument on the Galaxy tabs though... Honeycomb looks nothing like iOS ad Samsung hasn't uglied them up with the old TouchWiz UI overlay.

Porchland
Sep 11, 09:18 AM
Seems to me the new 24" iMac is the "Media Player" - My two largest "monitors" are my 23" ACD and a 26" old skool TV. I watch DVDs on the ACD, as I get a little bit more picture and a lot more clarity than on my TV.
Seating accommodations in my office aren't as nice as the living room, but oh well...
It wouldn't be a huge leap for Apple to super-size the 24-inch iMac into 42-inch and 52-inch displays. The architecture of the iMac is well-suited to a plasma display.
Seating accommodations in my office aren't as nice as the living room, but oh well...
It wouldn't be a huge leap for Apple to super-size the 24-inch iMac into 42-inch and 52-inch displays. The architecture of the iMac is well-suited to a plasma display.
AppleDroid
Apr 21, 04:00 PM
Make it thinner, smaller, rounder whatever just make sure you squeeze 6/12 ram slots in there for the redesign thanks!
3CCD
Aug 4, 03:40 PM
I'm excited to see what happens but since I'm in no crunch I'm waiting for the best time to buy. I'll wait till the new year if I have to.
SirHaakon
Mar 31, 02:11 AM
Maybe that rate wouldn't be bad, but if you read the article, that's not what they're charging. Beyond the initial free amount, its $1 per 1 gig, not $1 per 20 gigs.
You get 20 gigs if you buy an album on Amazon. Here's an album for a dollar:
http://www.amazon.com/Neroli/dp/B001LK0HVU/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_3
You do the math.
You get 20 gigs if you buy an album on Amazon. Here's an album for a dollar:
http://www.amazon.com/Neroli/dp/B001LK0HVU/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_3
You do the math.
mjaco002
Apr 18, 03:46 PM
x2, very lame move apple.
Have you seen those phones?
When I saw them I thought for second they were actual iPhones.
Have you seen those phones?
When I saw them I thought for second they were actual iPhones.
KnightWRX
Apr 24, 04:18 AM
Retina 27'' LCD should be 7200x4080 pixels. I think we can't expect it in near future... but i'd love to see it :)
No, it wouldn't. Please understand what Retina means ;) :
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/10/resolving-the-iphone-resolution/
For all we know, the 27" already is a Retina display. It depends on what distance you find normal sitting away from it.
No, it wouldn't. Please understand what Retina means ;) :
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/10/resolving-the-iphone-resolution/
For all we know, the 27" already is a Retina display. It depends on what distance you find normal sitting away from it.
mozmac
Jul 29, 09:23 PM
I can already see Phil sitting in the audience and then Job's cell phone rings..
Jobs: um..excuse me a sec..Seems I have a phone call..
Pulls out this cool looking cell phone,flips it open and says hello?
Phil: Say Steve,can we have a chat real fast ? then starts up iChat on his iPhone..
Jobs: starts up iChat on his cell phone..
The rest is history :D
That is pure, Apple style right there. Of course, I don't picture this phone being a flip phones. I believe (and hope) flip phones are on their way out. They were a fad, but aren't as practical as candy bar phones. They have more moving parts that can break and take longer to answer, especially if your hands are full or you're driving your car. (All you flip-phone people out there, before you start lashing out in defense, just accept those statements as truth, because you know they are.) Nothing beats hearing your phone, looking down, and pushing a button to start talking. As far as accidently calling people, I lock my phone with the push of a button and don't have any problems.
Jobs: um..excuse me a sec..Seems I have a phone call..
Pulls out this cool looking cell phone,flips it open and says hello?
Phil: Say Steve,can we have a chat real fast ? then starts up iChat on his iPhone..
Jobs: starts up iChat on his cell phone..
The rest is history :D
That is pure, Apple style right there. Of course, I don't picture this phone being a flip phones. I believe (and hope) flip phones are on their way out. They were a fad, but aren't as practical as candy bar phones. They have more moving parts that can break and take longer to answer, especially if your hands are full or you're driving your car. (All you flip-phone people out there, before you start lashing out in defense, just accept those statements as truth, because you know they are.) Nothing beats hearing your phone, looking down, and pushing a button to start talking. As far as accidently calling people, I lock my phone with the push of a button and don't have any problems.
BRLawyer
Nov 27, 12:10 PM
ps. No point abusing others' ideas.
No point in what? I am stating my OWN ideas.
No point in what? I am stating my OWN ideas.
SandynJosh
Nov 23, 03:12 PM
Someone who worked across the aisle from me had a PowerCD connected to his Mac and it was really nice, but it was way too expensive. Then again, you could say that about any of the equipment at the time. It's become much better but the value is often not apparent to the majority of the people.
If I remember right, when a person removed the PowerCD from its stand to listen to the music on the run it failed to give good performance. Apple forgot to include any buffer memory and skips were more the event then not. At the time, less expenisive protable CD players had such buffer memory, so it was a real dumb move on Apple's part.
If I remember right, when a person removed the PowerCD from its stand to listen to the music on the run it failed to give good performance. Apple forgot to include any buffer memory and skips were more the event then not. At the time, less expenisive protable CD players had such buffer memory, so it was a real dumb move on Apple's part.
mikeapple
Apr 7, 10:08 AM
Its really not Apples fault... their devices are sold-out everyone and people are still waiting to get theirs... I doubt RIM will have such demand on their ugly plastic thing
Multimedia
Aug 7, 07:22 PM
In the past, Apple has always issued a "White Paper" on new leading products. I can't see the link for that yet. Anyone find it? :confused:
amac4me
Sep 15, 04:27 PM
It's very logical that updated MacBook Pro's will be announced. The current MacBook Pro's are referred to by Apple as "Early 2006".
ezekielrage_99
Aug 4, 10:23 AM
I think we will see the Core 2 Duo in the iMac, Mac Pro and MacBook Pro line and before Xmas in everything else.
If this does happen it is certainly an excellent turn for Apple and the consumers getting the latest and greatest.
If this does happen it is certainly an excellent turn for Apple and the consumers getting the latest and greatest.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar