Geckotek
Apr 20, 09:54 AM
Because Europe > USA.
Texas > USA > Europe :p
Ok...not really.
Texas > USA > Europe :p
Ok...not really.
QCassidy352
Jul 21, 02:19 PM
I doubt we'll see Core 2 Duo machines next Tuesday, but it's possible. :rolleyes:
Otherwise I expect a WWDC rollout.
I don't think we'll see these at WWDC unless there are other substantial changes. Going from a Yonah to a Merom chip may be great news, but it's hardly something Steve can crow about on stage. "Here's the new macbook pro... it looks and functions exactly like the old one, but 20% faster. Um, yeah. You already know all about the macbook pro, so there's really nothing else for me to say, is there?"
I expect we will see mac pros and leopard demo'ed at WWDC, plus the usual talk about how well apple is doing, etc. Maybe some talk about pro apps because it's a developer's conference. MAYBE a new ipod (nano) just because it's such big news, even tho it's not really for developers.
But as far as new MBPs go, I'd expect a quiet announcement some tuesday in the relatively near future.
Otherwise I expect a WWDC rollout.
I don't think we'll see these at WWDC unless there are other substantial changes. Going from a Yonah to a Merom chip may be great news, but it's hardly something Steve can crow about on stage. "Here's the new macbook pro... it looks and functions exactly like the old one, but 20% faster. Um, yeah. You already know all about the macbook pro, so there's really nothing else for me to say, is there?"
I expect we will see mac pros and leopard demo'ed at WWDC, plus the usual talk about how well apple is doing, etc. Maybe some talk about pro apps because it's a developer's conference. MAYBE a new ipod (nano) just because it's such big news, even tho it's not really for developers.
But as far as new MBPs go, I'd expect a quiet announcement some tuesday in the relatively near future.
Eldiablojoe
May 3, 10:46 PM
I'm going to vote YES for Don't Panic, but NO for splitting up.
Beatrice, Should we reveal that we are telepathic, or should we save that tidbit for when it is most needed?
Beatrice, Should we reveal that we are telepathic, or should we save that tidbit for when it is most needed?
gkarris
May 4, 03:03 PM
But will be greeted with outrage here anyway, just you watch.
So I guess we'll all just send you our AT&T Internet Bills when we go over their newly implemented data usage caps? :eek:
:rolleyes:
So I guess we'll all just send you our AT&T Internet Bills when we go over their newly implemented data usage caps? :eek:
:rolleyes:
LaMerVipere
Aug 7, 02:56 PM
LAME
� $2,499 standard price of Mac Pro ($2,299 for Education)
��$2,124 is the lowest you can configure the Mac Pro ($1,962 for Education)
���To get it that low, you have to drop the processors from 2.66GHz to 2GHz and and the hard drive from 250GB to 160GB
� Airport Extreme & Bluetooth 2.0 still not standard
� Weak graphics card standard (GeForce 7300, ugh)
and as a sidenote:
� MacBook Pro & MacBook processors untouched
� iMac untouched
� iPod product line grows more stale by the day
� $2,499 standard price of Mac Pro ($2,299 for Education)
��$2,124 is the lowest you can configure the Mac Pro ($1,962 for Education)
���To get it that low, you have to drop the processors from 2.66GHz to 2GHz and and the hard drive from 250GB to 160GB
� Airport Extreme & Bluetooth 2.0 still not standard
� Weak graphics card standard (GeForce 7300, ugh)
and as a sidenote:
� MacBook Pro & MacBook processors untouched
� iMac untouched
� iPod product line grows more stale by the day

ten-oak-druid
Apr 7, 09:29 AM
This gives RIM time to rethink their tablet.
tehdee
Jul 22, 05:43 PM
it's probably the people who just bought macbook pro's a few weeks ago. hah!
glad i haven't bought a macbook pro yet. must have merom! woooohoooooo!
seven months from now, some yutz is going to be saying the same thing about merom.
glad i haven't bought a macbook pro yet. must have merom! woooohoooooo!
seven months from now, some yutz is going to be saying the same thing about merom.
poppe
Aug 4, 12:25 AM
Right now there is a big price difference between the MB and MBP line but not a whole lot of difference in performance. Putting the Core 2 in the MBP would help differentiate it from the MB. That doesn't mean the MB won't get a speed bump (the Core Duo goes up to 2.33GHz), but Apple might delay putting Merom in the MB to differentiate the lines. I'd pounce on a Merom MB, but I don't think it's going to happen in conjunction with the Merom MBP.
Wasn't there a decent price difference between the PB 12" and the 15" but had the same processor? I have no idea. I'm really just asking because i'm curious.
That and i'm at like 478 posts from when I last checked...
EDIT: Scratch that 574 posts... Represent!!! i'm now a 6502 what ever that means! and my picture is up sweet...
Wasn't there a decent price difference between the PB 12" and the 15" but had the same processor? I have no idea. I'm really just asking because i'm curious.
That and i'm at like 478 posts from when I last checked...
EDIT: Scratch that 574 posts... Represent!!! i'm now a 6502 what ever that means! and my picture is up sweet...
mrelwood
Mar 29, 03:37 PM
Nanobots in the bloodstream!
Ooh... iBot Nano! I want to line up for one of THOSE!
I suppose we'll have to sync via IV drip?
Nah, Jobs has been working on WiFi sync for atleast a year now. It'll be ready by then. In WHITE!
Ooh... iBot Nano! I want to line up for one of THOSE!
I suppose we'll have to sync via IV drip?
Nah, Jobs has been working on WiFi sync for atleast a year now. It'll be ready by then. In WHITE!
ChrisA
Nov 22, 01:49 PM
Here is my prediction:
The number one characteristic of the first generation of Apple phones will be that they a "#$+@ expensive".
What does this mean? A concept they teach in business school is how to set a price to maximize profit. It's easy to see that if you price it to low you sell a zillion units but loose money and if priced to high you don't sell any so there is a sweet spot where the number of units sold times the per unit margin is maximized. In theory you can write an equation to model this then do some math to find it's maximum point. (remember: set the derivative to zero then solve for X from Calculus 101?) So much for theory. I doubt they will do that. I think Apple will price these higher then the theoretical "best" price. This way they sell far fewer units then they otherwise would. This let's them grow their service side of the iPhone business at a manageable rate. If Apple's business plan is sane they can't be going for a large share of the cell phone market
OK so in short they use a high price to throttle sales to a rate their service can support. I'm thinking this will be a $500 phone with a $99/month minimum contract. Basically you ain't going to get a free Apple iPhone with your $29.00/month 2 year contract.
Apple is partnering with an air-time provider so they will not get to keep much of the per-month fee, they will have to make money up front with hardware sales unless they can offer some non airtime monthly service like .mac
The number one characteristic of the first generation of Apple phones will be that they a "#$+@ expensive".
What does this mean? A concept they teach in business school is how to set a price to maximize profit. It's easy to see that if you price it to low you sell a zillion units but loose money and if priced to high you don't sell any so there is a sweet spot where the number of units sold times the per unit margin is maximized. In theory you can write an equation to model this then do some math to find it's maximum point. (remember: set the derivative to zero then solve for X from Calculus 101?) So much for theory. I doubt they will do that. I think Apple will price these higher then the theoretical "best" price. This way they sell far fewer units then they otherwise would. This let's them grow their service side of the iPhone business at a manageable rate. If Apple's business plan is sane they can't be going for a large share of the cell phone market
OK so in short they use a high price to throttle sales to a rate their service can support. I'm thinking this will be a $500 phone with a $99/month minimum contract. Basically you ain't going to get a free Apple iPhone with your $29.00/month 2 year contract.
Apple is partnering with an air-time provider so they will not get to keep much of the per-month fee, they will have to make money up front with hardware sales unless they can offer some non airtime monthly service like .mac
neonfever
Aug 5, 12:58 AM
Just a few thoughts.
I think if there's any product that deserves to have a Merom in it this monday, it has to be the iMac. It's been virtually the same since the day it rolled out earlier this year. Because of the way it's designed I don't think they will put a conroe in it although it is a 'desktop' in it's own way.
Merom is gonna be great, esp for the ones still waiting to jump onto the intel-mac bandwagon, but doesn't offer much for those already with an intel-mac. I think the intel-macs have enough performance to go about for quite a while. What we really need is more UNIVERSAL BINARY SOFTWARES! I still use windows for heavy CS2 usage at the moment. How sad is that. I know this is not going to happen any time soon as adobe has announced no CS3 until but I think a considerable amount of people here would be more excited to hear about CS3 or at least a target shipment date for it on monday. How about a UB Maya and Sketchbook Pro?
Heck i'd trade off a full year of intel-mac upgrades if someone created UB's for everything right now.
I think if there's any product that deserves to have a Merom in it this monday, it has to be the iMac. It's been virtually the same since the day it rolled out earlier this year. Because of the way it's designed I don't think they will put a conroe in it although it is a 'desktop' in it's own way.
Merom is gonna be great, esp for the ones still waiting to jump onto the intel-mac bandwagon, but doesn't offer much for those already with an intel-mac. I think the intel-macs have enough performance to go about for quite a while. What we really need is more UNIVERSAL BINARY SOFTWARES! I still use windows for heavy CS2 usage at the moment. How sad is that. I know this is not going to happen any time soon as adobe has announced no CS3 until but I think a considerable amount of people here would be more excited to hear about CS3 or at least a target shipment date for it on monday. How about a UB Maya and Sketchbook Pro?
Heck i'd trade off a full year of intel-mac upgrades if someone created UB's for everything right now.
trip1ex
May 6, 07:19 AM
Not like they don't already have OSX running on ARM in-house.
EDH667
Nov 27, 07:11 AM
Is there really no wiggle room?
Has anyone tried to use the car kit with a Case Mate Barely There Case?
There is absolutely no room for any case to work with the TomTom car kit.
I stand corrected. I purchased the Case-Mate Barley there case and it works great with the TomTom car kit.
Has anyone tried to use the car kit with a Case Mate Barely There Case?
There is absolutely no room for any case to work with the TomTom car kit.
I stand corrected. I purchased the Case-Mate Barley there case and it works great with the TomTom car kit.
twoodcc
Aug 3, 12:14 AM
You have said this before and it is TOTALLY WRONG if you are comparing the Merom to Yonah (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2711&p=4). The first slide is directly from Intel's Spring Developer Conference. Consistent battery does not mean 2X.
thank you for that information. sorry i was late with my response
thank you for that information. sorry i was late with my response
iLunar
Apr 5, 08:44 PM
I doubt that's really Apple's issue. I'm sure they're more concerned about getting their 33% of everything iPhone.
Any lawyers out there? Isn't this bordering on breaking some monopolizing or anti-competition laws?
No.
Any lawyers out there? Isn't this bordering on breaking some monopolizing or anti-competition laws?
No.

Vice92
Apr 10, 05:59 PM
Math is a language we engineers, scientists, economists, etc... are fluent in.
To us this is not-ideal delivery method, but it has a definite meaning.
Looking at the thread, I think there is a clear dividing line. Native math speakers: scientists, engineers, programmers, etc... say 288. Others who are effectively non-native speakers may interpret 2 due to their lack of fluency.
B
I don't see how you can say that. None the less how anyone can confidently answer this question.
You arrive at 288 by multiplying 48/2 * (9+3), but that is assuming multiplication is the implied operator.
The way the equation is written, this question simply does not make sense. Parenthesis or something similar are needed to make this equation solvable.
You say you are fluent in mathematics, etc, but fluency requires proper syntax, which the equation simply does not have. If a professional gave me this problem to solve I would call them an idiot.
To us this is not-ideal delivery method, but it has a definite meaning.
Looking at the thread, I think there is a clear dividing line. Native math speakers: scientists, engineers, programmers, etc... say 288. Others who are effectively non-native speakers may interpret 2 due to their lack of fluency.
B
I don't see how you can say that. None the less how anyone can confidently answer this question.
You arrive at 288 by multiplying 48/2 * (9+3), but that is assuming multiplication is the implied operator.
The way the equation is written, this question simply does not make sense. Parenthesis or something similar are needed to make this equation solvable.
You say you are fluent in mathematics, etc, but fluency requires proper syntax, which the equation simply does not have. If a professional gave me this problem to solve I would call them an idiot.
snberk103
May 6, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by snberk103
You are entirely correct. There is really nothing that will make the daily life of an American citizen better 'cause their can of Bud is 331ml, or their corn-beef sandwich has 125gs of beef, and 12ml of mustard on two slices of rye, each 115mm thick.
Quite frankly I really don't understand why this attitude is necessary. Have I been rude or condescending towards you in this discussion? Has anyone else in this thread?
I think the most insulting part is that you couldn't even make a coherent point with this sarcasm. Are you trying to poke fun at random numbers in the imperial system? Arbitrary values in general? Americans who eat roast beef?
What sarcasm? I was being quite serious. I actually and honestly agree with you that it won't make the vast majority of anyone's life easier if they use metric. I was being a little silly with the numbers, true... but it was not meant as sarcasm. I was born in the US, and was there until I was in grade 5. I moved to Canada when it was still using Imperial measures. And I mean the real Imperial, as in British Empire, not the slightly different American versions. And you are entirely correct - I coped just fine with gallons and ounces, feet and miles, etc etc. The biggest problem I had was converting from Imperial to American gallons/quarts/pints - and trying to figure out if my measuring cup was made in the Canada - i.e. true Imperial, or in the USA. And if it was made in the USA, was it calibrated in American sized units or was it calibrated for export and in true Imperial. As a photographer mixing up developers, fixers, etc, these questions were important. I swapped to metric volumes soon as I could for this reason - not because I couldn't work in ounces, etc.
Oh you mean how you still have a queen as your sovereign? Or how you mandate bilingual education for a stark minority of French Canadians? Or how the United Kingdom still has an unwritten constitution? Or how half of Europe still has an official state church? Or how the French presume guilt rather than innocence? Or how Italy is still run by political machines?
Guilty as charged... though we like to think being bilingual is a good and modern thing. We also have quarter of our population that hasn't signed onto our constitution (unlike the UK, we at least wrote ours down - we just don't yet have it fully ratified yet - sigh)
Modernity is always a hindsight judgment. What should matter is if the system is not working for the people who use it. With private industries transitioning manufacturing to metric, the biggest argument in favor of the metric system is moot. The question then comes down to whether or not you are better positioned to judge what other people need or want.
Yes, I was poking some buttons there. It's one that is sure to get most Americans into a lather, too. My point about the "claiming to be modern", is that the USA spends a lot of time telling the rest of the world how great it is...and it is in many ways, no argument. But there are some areas where the rest of world is, um, "greater." (Tongue In Cheek!) It is annoying to the rest of the world when Americans travel and think our metric signage is "quaint"... (First hand experience). I believe that, by definition, it's not our signage that is quaint. :)
ps.... one of the defining characteristics of being Canadian is our smugness. Deserved or not, we already know it.
You are entirely correct. There is really nothing that will make the daily life of an American citizen better 'cause their can of Bud is 331ml, or their corn-beef sandwich has 125gs of beef, and 12ml of mustard on two slices of rye, each 115mm thick.
Quite frankly I really don't understand why this attitude is necessary. Have I been rude or condescending towards you in this discussion? Has anyone else in this thread?
I think the most insulting part is that you couldn't even make a coherent point with this sarcasm. Are you trying to poke fun at random numbers in the imperial system? Arbitrary values in general? Americans who eat roast beef?
What sarcasm? I was being quite serious. I actually and honestly agree with you that it won't make the vast majority of anyone's life easier if they use metric. I was being a little silly with the numbers, true... but it was not meant as sarcasm. I was born in the US, and was there until I was in grade 5. I moved to Canada when it was still using Imperial measures. And I mean the real Imperial, as in British Empire, not the slightly different American versions. And you are entirely correct - I coped just fine with gallons and ounces, feet and miles, etc etc. The biggest problem I had was converting from Imperial to American gallons/quarts/pints - and trying to figure out if my measuring cup was made in the Canada - i.e. true Imperial, or in the USA. And if it was made in the USA, was it calibrated in American sized units or was it calibrated for export and in true Imperial. As a photographer mixing up developers, fixers, etc, these questions were important. I swapped to metric volumes soon as I could for this reason - not because I couldn't work in ounces, etc.
Oh you mean how you still have a queen as your sovereign? Or how you mandate bilingual education for a stark minority of French Canadians? Or how the United Kingdom still has an unwritten constitution? Or how half of Europe still has an official state church? Or how the French presume guilt rather than innocence? Or how Italy is still run by political machines?
Guilty as charged... though we like to think being bilingual is a good and modern thing. We also have quarter of our population that hasn't signed onto our constitution (unlike the UK, we at least wrote ours down - we just don't yet have it fully ratified yet - sigh)
Modernity is always a hindsight judgment. What should matter is if the system is not working for the people who use it. With private industries transitioning manufacturing to metric, the biggest argument in favor of the metric system is moot. The question then comes down to whether or not you are better positioned to judge what other people need or want.
Yes, I was poking some buttons there. It's one that is sure to get most Americans into a lather, too. My point about the "claiming to be modern", is that the USA spends a lot of time telling the rest of the world how great it is...and it is in many ways, no argument. But there are some areas where the rest of world is, um, "greater." (Tongue In Cheek!) It is annoying to the rest of the world when Americans travel and think our metric signage is "quaint"... (First hand experience). I believe that, by definition, it's not our signage that is quaint. :)
ps.... one of the defining characteristics of being Canadian is our smugness. Deserved or not, we already know it.
firestarter
Apr 21, 02:34 PM
Good!
It would be great if there was an even smaller one, now that Thunderbolt allows high speed expansion outside the box.
It would be great if there was an even smaller one, now that Thunderbolt allows high speed expansion outside the box.
iRobby
Mar 27, 03:05 PM
hmmm some android phone it is then, and a new iPad for my iOS pleasure at some point. getting tired of the same UI after owning 3 iPhone generations
Wait til the phone is released to make that decision don't base it on RUMORS!
Wait til the phone is released to make that decision don't base it on RUMORS!
Gasu E.
Mar 29, 02:39 PM
Highly debatable. More than likely working conditions would be far superior to what they are in China or Japan, and everyone knows happy employees are good employees.
Working conditions are bad in Japan????:confused:
Working conditions are bad in Japan????:confused:
Small White Car
May 4, 03:04 PM
If I have to DL it from the App Store, I've got to download it 4 times!
I can copy iPhone apps from one computer to another just fine. As long as they're logged into the same account they work.
Shouldn't this work the same way?
I mean, obviously we don't know, but I don't see why it shouldn't.
So I guess we'll all just send you our AT&T Internet Bills when we go over their newly implemented data usage caps? :eek:
:rolleyes:
If you're using AT&T mobile internet as the primary connection for your Macs then you probably need to re-examine your life somewhat.
I can copy iPhone apps from one computer to another just fine. As long as they're logged into the same account they work.
Shouldn't this work the same way?
I mean, obviously we don't know, but I don't see why it shouldn't.
So I guess we'll all just send you our AT&T Internet Bills when we go over their newly implemented data usage caps? :eek:
:rolleyes:
If you're using AT&T mobile internet as the primary connection for your Macs then you probably need to re-examine your life somewhat.
IntelliUser
Nov 12, 10:31 AM
I use Eset NOD32 on my pc and i must say it's the best AV software in my opinion after testing many others. Once they make their AV available on mac i will get it.
It's already available http://www.eset.com/home/cybersecurity-for-mac
It's already available http://www.eset.com/home/cybersecurity-for-mac
onetoescape
Mar 29, 09:40 AM
Just remember part of this is that if you buy Amazon digital products they are added to cloud service and they not counted towards the limit. That for me makes the 5gb or 20gb less to worry about. Same price itunes and amazon but free hosting in the cloud as a backup who would you choose?
This is a very exciting prospect. You want 2 dogs fighting it out to make each other better.
This is a very exciting prospect. You want 2 dogs fighting it out to make each other better.
aafuss1
Aug 7, 10:04 PM
http://search.info.apple.com/?q=mac+pro&lr=lang_en&search=Go&type=- DIY parts instructions.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar