Arcus
Apr 25, 09:03 AM
No. Re-read the three sentences he typed. He said that Apple is not tracking anyone. That infers that the database of locations is not being used to track a users location.
No, he said "the info circulating". "THE" info includes the info about the database.
No, he said "the info circulating". "THE" info includes the info about the database.
mcrain
Apr 18, 11:59 AM
Firstly, your perspective would change completely if you ever decide to invest or trade. I don't want hedge funds going for more risk. That is what contributed to the housing bust and mortgage backed securities. I am completely self taught as a trader and investor. In fact, I don't know a single other person who does what I do. And when I do meet someone who works in finance, they are usually just a cog, and I have nothing in common with them.
Of course people don't "want" risk. But, again, you MISSED THE POINT. Let's try again. People want to take their savings and invest it in the safest investment with the return they desire. If US treasuries beat the stock market, no one would trade stocks If trading in established fortune 500 companies beat out riskier investments, would anyone trade riskier stocks? The answer is probably someone foolish would, but the majority will invest in the safest investment that will provide the rate of return desired. If taxes reduce the rate of return of the safer investments, people naturally begin investing in riskier propositions that have the potential to generate higher rates of return.
Have you ever represented a company so that it can sell its ownership interests to the public, or have you ever represented the investors in an IPO? Your perspective would change if you ever had. Your assumption that I don't invest is pretty silly considering just about anyone can do it.
Secondly, and more importantly, I don't think a person should have to give a good reason to be able to do anything. Unless you can prove that a person's actions causes harm to others, why attack it? How is taxing something at the same rate as other income an attack? Oh no, you're treating my capital gains income the same as everyone elses income! I'm under attack! Poor me! The government is no longer going to subsidize my gambling on the success or failure of someone else's established business. Boo hoo.
Our legal system works that way; the burden of proof is always on the accuser not the accused. Really? That's not true. What about administrative hearings where the burden is on the accused to overcome a prima facie case? (FYI, for a good example of this concept, look at the situation with the proposed rules regarding copyright owners and the presumption that you are pirating if you receive a letter from them accusing you).
Of course people don't "want" risk. But, again, you MISSED THE POINT. Let's try again. People want to take their savings and invest it in the safest investment with the return they desire. If US treasuries beat the stock market, no one would trade stocks If trading in established fortune 500 companies beat out riskier investments, would anyone trade riskier stocks? The answer is probably someone foolish would, but the majority will invest in the safest investment that will provide the rate of return desired. If taxes reduce the rate of return of the safer investments, people naturally begin investing in riskier propositions that have the potential to generate higher rates of return.
Have you ever represented a company so that it can sell its ownership interests to the public, or have you ever represented the investors in an IPO? Your perspective would change if you ever had. Your assumption that I don't invest is pretty silly considering just about anyone can do it.
Secondly, and more importantly, I don't think a person should have to give a good reason to be able to do anything. Unless you can prove that a person's actions causes harm to others, why attack it? How is taxing something at the same rate as other income an attack? Oh no, you're treating my capital gains income the same as everyone elses income! I'm under attack! Poor me! The government is no longer going to subsidize my gambling on the success or failure of someone else's established business. Boo hoo.
Our legal system works that way; the burden of proof is always on the accuser not the accused. Really? That's not true. What about administrative hearings where the burden is on the accused to overcome a prima facie case? (FYI, for a good example of this concept, look at the situation with the proposed rules regarding copyright owners and the presumption that you are pirating if you receive a letter from them accusing you).
kalsta
May 5, 08:45 AM
Easy. 13/48ths of an inch.;)
Is that wink a small admission of how silly your system really is? :) Sure, the math was simple, but how meaningful are all these crazy fractions? If I actually had to try and picture what these fractions represent, I'd want to convert the denominator into a multiple of 10 first in order to try and picture it. I might note that twice 48 is roughly 100, so I know we're dealing with a bit over 26%. Other fractions could prove more difficult. With the metric system, you never have to do this. You're always dealing with base-10, which is something we all understand and can picture, without having to memorise particular fractions and what they represent.
I really don't see much functional difference between a language and a system of measures. Both express specificity using prearranged syntax and values.
Well, we could certainly argue that international communication would be a LOT simpler if there was only one language � and it would be! However, the reality is, we have a world with not only a diversity of language, but a diversity of culture, and the two are intricately linked. That makes the world a very interesting place, and being able to speak multiple languages would be a wonderful skill to have when travelling and engaging in other cultures. People are generally proud of their heritage, culture and language, and there aren't too many people suggesting the world should lose all of that richness in the interest of conformity. (Well, there are such people, but I think we can agree they're generally pretty scary.)
How many people are so nostalgic about the imperial system? With language, one communicates deep philosophical thoughts, writes beautiful poetry, tells a woman of his undying love. With a system of measurement, one� well, measures stuff. Most of the world has seen the benefits of a better system and they've moved on without regret. What is different about the US that it can't do likewise? I honestly find it perplexing. Be honest now� Is it because the French invented it?
Even beyond that, if we were to adopt the metric system 100% starting tomorrow, the transition would have to last for decades not only to encompass those who are too old to be educated, but also to deal with the infrastructure changes that would have to take place. At the very earliest it would be my grandchildren who would see a fully metricized US.
You're not stepping out onto the moon this time. Just about every other country on the planet (and there are quite a few of them!) have gone before you, and it worked out just fine. Sure, it takes some time, but not as long as you might like to imagine. Let me come back to my own experience� I was born in the 70s, around the time Australia was just starting to transition to the metric system. The older folk may well have had a difficult time with it, but if so I was blissfully unaware of it. I came to learn what an inch was, since most rulers had inches on one side and mm/cm on the other, and people still, to this day, casually talk about their height in feet and the weight of newborn babies in pounds. (Yes, some old habits die hard.) But these sort of things are the exceptions. The transition to metric was so efficient, I, as a first generation growing up with it, didn't even notice there was a transition happening.
Seriously, you should be looking to Australia and other countries with successful transitions and learning from them, instead of just perpetuating all these fanciful stories of how terrible it's going to be to change.
Is that wink a small admission of how silly your system really is? :) Sure, the math was simple, but how meaningful are all these crazy fractions? If I actually had to try and picture what these fractions represent, I'd want to convert the denominator into a multiple of 10 first in order to try and picture it. I might note that twice 48 is roughly 100, so I know we're dealing with a bit over 26%. Other fractions could prove more difficult. With the metric system, you never have to do this. You're always dealing with base-10, which is something we all understand and can picture, without having to memorise particular fractions and what they represent.
I really don't see much functional difference between a language and a system of measures. Both express specificity using prearranged syntax and values.
Well, we could certainly argue that international communication would be a LOT simpler if there was only one language � and it would be! However, the reality is, we have a world with not only a diversity of language, but a diversity of culture, and the two are intricately linked. That makes the world a very interesting place, and being able to speak multiple languages would be a wonderful skill to have when travelling and engaging in other cultures. People are generally proud of their heritage, culture and language, and there aren't too many people suggesting the world should lose all of that richness in the interest of conformity. (Well, there are such people, but I think we can agree they're generally pretty scary.)
How many people are so nostalgic about the imperial system? With language, one communicates deep philosophical thoughts, writes beautiful poetry, tells a woman of his undying love. With a system of measurement, one� well, measures stuff. Most of the world has seen the benefits of a better system and they've moved on without regret. What is different about the US that it can't do likewise? I honestly find it perplexing. Be honest now� Is it because the French invented it?
Even beyond that, if we were to adopt the metric system 100% starting tomorrow, the transition would have to last for decades not only to encompass those who are too old to be educated, but also to deal with the infrastructure changes that would have to take place. At the very earliest it would be my grandchildren who would see a fully metricized US.
You're not stepping out onto the moon this time. Just about every other country on the planet (and there are quite a few of them!) have gone before you, and it worked out just fine. Sure, it takes some time, but not as long as you might like to imagine. Let me come back to my own experience� I was born in the 70s, around the time Australia was just starting to transition to the metric system. The older folk may well have had a difficult time with it, but if so I was blissfully unaware of it. I came to learn what an inch was, since most rulers had inches on one side and mm/cm on the other, and people still, to this day, casually talk about their height in feet and the weight of newborn babies in pounds. (Yes, some old habits die hard.) But these sort of things are the exceptions. The transition to metric was so efficient, I, as a first generation growing up with it, didn't even notice there was a transition happening.
Seriously, you should be looking to Australia and other countries with successful transitions and learning from them, instead of just perpetuating all these fanciful stories of how terrible it's going to be to change.
solvs
Jul 23, 10:02 PM
The iBook never went under $999.
I said sub-$1000. $999 is sub-$1000. ;) The iMac started out at $1300, and dropped to $800 at one point. Stuff it getting cheaper. I don't know when a cheaper laptop will be coming out, but I'll bet one is.
I said sub-$1000. $999 is sub-$1000. ;) The iMac started out at $1300, and dropped to $800 at one point. Stuff it getting cheaper. I don't know when a cheaper laptop will be coming out, but I'll bet one is.
celticpride678
Mar 27, 12:40 AM
Is the Verizon iPhone going to be included this time?
Jorojr
Apr 18, 03:18 PM
I did not know that TSMC produces LCD panels, RAM, SSD drives or flash memory. If Samsung stops supplying those to Apple, Apple is dead.
Apple would probably find other suppliers of those components, so I doubt not having Samsung as a supplier would kill Apple.
On the other hand, if they have to go to multiple manufacturers for the components instead of one big supplier (like Samsung), I would expect them to pay higher costs for parts. This would result in the costs being passed down the consumer.
Apple would probably find other suppliers of those components, so I doubt not having Samsung as a supplier would kill Apple.
On the other hand, if they have to go to multiple manufacturers for the components instead of one big supplier (like Samsung), I would expect them to pay higher costs for parts. This would result in the costs being passed down the consumer.
vincenz
Mar 28, 10:46 AM
Surprised by the turn of events... but as all rumors, we have to take it with a grain of salt. Who knows who's right but Steve and his coterie?
direzz
Jul 30, 12:11 AM
I dunno, i still think its a stupid idea, not to mention how expensive it will be.
nomad01
Aug 11, 10:53 AM
I'm holding off for the new MBP because from what I've seen, the current ones still have issues. It was Apple's first Mac to go to Intel, and although they've made some changes, it's still "first generation".
Yes but of course when this new MBP is released that will also be a first gen. Everytime there's some kind of redesign, you could be looking at teething problems.
As for the current MBP, I bought mine after the last revisions and it's perfect. No moo, no whine, no... well you get the picture. After reading negative comments on here I was almost dreading it arriving but it's been an absolute dream. No regrets.
Yes but of course when this new MBP is released that will also be a first gen. Everytime there's some kind of redesign, you could be looking at teething problems.
As for the current MBP, I bought mine after the last revisions and it's perfect. No moo, no whine, no... well you get the picture. After reading negative comments on here I was almost dreading it arriving but it's been an absolute dream. No regrets.
BRLawyer
Sep 11, 01:20 PM
What we are gonna see tomorrow:
- iTMS Movie Store;
- new Nanos 6 and 8Gb in anodized metal;
- slightly updated iPod with 80Gb;
- Airport Express Video.
And NOTHING ELSE...don't dare dream about updated MBs or MBPs...these have NOTHING to do with a special event on movies and multimedia...sorry to burst your bubble...SJ told me that already... :rolleyes:
- iTMS Movie Store;
- new Nanos 6 and 8Gb in anodized metal;
- slightly updated iPod with 80Gb;
- Airport Express Video.
And NOTHING ELSE...don't dare dream about updated MBs or MBPs...these have NOTHING to do with a special event on movies and multimedia...sorry to burst your bubble...SJ told me that already... :rolleyes:
milo
Sep 11, 04:17 PM
At a compression value I would accecpt, files will still be to big for the internet of today / average power of a computer today / the HD's of today.
People keep saying things like this. But look at online movie piracy. It's probably as big now as napster was a few years ago. The pirates have proven that people are interested in getting movies online, and that the technological barriers can be overcome.
Unless you have a progressive scan TV, which propbably means an HDTV, DVD is only 480i, which can be argued to be equivalent to 240p. That way Apple can easily claim their movies to be DVD quality at 320x240.
But would that look as good as DVD on NTSC television? Sure doesn't seem like it with the current downloads.
People keep saying things like this. But look at online movie piracy. It's probably as big now as napster was a few years ago. The pirates have proven that people are interested in getting movies online, and that the technological barriers can be overcome.
Unless you have a progressive scan TV, which propbably means an HDTV, DVD is only 480i, which can be argued to be equivalent to 240p. That way Apple can easily claim their movies to be DVD quality at 320x240.
But would that look as good as DVD on NTSC television? Sure doesn't seem like it with the current downloads.
Stella
Apr 7, 10:16 AM
So you want Apple to be forced by the government to reduce its manufacturing, tell its customers "sorry, no iPad for you" because the competition needs to catch up? How stupid is that?:rolleyes:
If Apple was found to be abusing its position... yes. But this is NOT my point, my point was 'countries start to investigate Apple due to a shortage of components due to Apple buying up the available stock for a prolonged period of time'. This is very different from Apple being found guilty etc etc.
If Apple was found to be abusing its position... yes. But this is NOT my point, my point was 'countries start to investigate Apple due to a shortage of components due to Apple buying up the available stock for a prolonged period of time'. This is very different from Apple being found guilty etc etc.
fkntotalkaos
May 7, 06:18 PM
about time.... Google was becoming more popular. I was a .mac person, but that $99 price per year was idiotic. I remember when .mac was free.
Optimus Frag
May 6, 04:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)
Not gonna happen. Just isn't.
I can't even see them switching to ARM for their ultra portables like the Air.
UNLESS...
Apple already a running version of OSX working on existing ARM like the secret version of Intel OSX they 'announced' at switch.
I'm more inclined to believe that Apple have a back up version of ARM compatible OSX working in their labs and this the reason for the rumour of a possible change.
But I'd put money on Intel keeping the gig.
Not gonna happen. Just isn't.
I can't even see them switching to ARM for their ultra portables like the Air.
UNLESS...
Apple already a running version of OSX working on existing ARM like the secret version of Intel OSX they 'announced' at switch.
I'm more inclined to believe that Apple have a back up version of ARM compatible OSX working in their labs and this the reason for the rumour of a possible change.
But I'd put money on Intel keeping the gig.
hana
Nov 22, 07:59 AM
Do you see some common arguments.....
ipod......zune
palm......iphone
ipod......zune
palm......iphone
MUBiomed
Mar 30, 07:49 PM
I have a 2011 MBP in the sig. Is it stable enough to use now? What does it mean that videos in itunes wont work? Only purchased I assume, but purchased music will work?
spencecb
Aug 11, 03:17 PM
I find it incredibly hard to believe that Apple intends to maintain the closeness in specs that are currently present between the MacBook Pro and MacBook. It makes more sense for Apple to move the MBP to the Core2 Duo and leave the MacBook to the Yonah. This leaves two more speed bumps for the MacBook. First 10 2.16, then to 2.33, all the while leaving the MBP time to advance with the Merom so it can gain momentum against the MacBook.
Consultant
Apr 18, 03:35 PM
Yay go Apple. From the little guy everyone cheered for to the ... big guy that sues everyone and still has everyone cheering for.
So you think Apple's goal is to be free R&D for the rest of the industry? :rolleyes:
So you think Apple's goal is to be free R&D for the rest of the industry? :rolleyes:
124151155
Mar 26, 10:08 PM
Cloud-Focused? Any more information on this?
charlituna
Apr 7, 01:02 PM
Ha ha! Way to go Apple!!!! Kill the competition any way you can!!
Doubtful that that is what they are up to. They bought what they needed and then this stupid little earthquake happened and the companies are trying to get back into business. And THAT is likely what is screwing with RIMs supply. Not anything Apple has done
Doubtful that that is what they are up to. They bought what they needed and then this stupid little earthquake happened and the companies are trying to get back into business. And THAT is likely what is screwing with RIMs supply. Not anything Apple has done
danpass
May 7, 01:49 PM
hmmm ............. iWork.com is free.
maybe some combined functionality setup soon?
maybe some combined functionality setup soon?
tekmoe
Sep 16, 03:07 PM
Quick question,
Is it possible to order online and pick up in a specified store when available?
This would be the most convinient way for me to purchase when the new MBP's come out.
unfortunately, no. wish that option was available.
Is it possible to order online and pick up in a specified store when available?
This would be the most convinient way for me to purchase when the new MBP's come out.
unfortunately, no. wish that option was available.
Prom1
Mar 27, 02:10 PM
How is a cloud based system going to work when bandwidth limits for cell phone data is low, and overage fees are high?
I really hope wwdc is going to focus on computers rather than its IOS toys.
Coming from a fellow mobile smartphone enthusiast ... I'm with you on this comment. iOS has its place ... yet with declining revenues/profits from the Desktop/Laptop lineup - despite increasing sales - I have a bad feeling that LION will NOT increase laptop/desktop sales.
LION is just too ... iOS centric focused yet Apple has already stated that touch-screens for laptops just don't make practical sense and that the trackpad is the best interraction for such concepts. I'm worried that their hold and innovation for Education (K12/Universities = iTunes U) will suffer since Mac Server doesn't exist as a separate feature OS vs a combined one. We'll see but I really wonder if this iOS is currupting our computing environment and not accelerating.
I really hope wwdc is going to focus on computers rather than its IOS toys.
Coming from a fellow mobile smartphone enthusiast ... I'm with you on this comment. iOS has its place ... yet with declining revenues/profits from the Desktop/Laptop lineup - despite increasing sales - I have a bad feeling that LION will NOT increase laptop/desktop sales.
LION is just too ... iOS centric focused yet Apple has already stated that touch-screens for laptops just don't make practical sense and that the trackpad is the best interraction for such concepts. I'm worried that their hold and innovation for Education (K12/Universities = iTunes U) will suffer since Mac Server doesn't exist as a separate feature OS vs a combined one. We'll see but I really wonder if this iOS is currupting our computing environment and not accelerating.
derbothaus
Apr 28, 11:54 AM
Wow. You brought actual stats to the table. I stand corrected on the melting bit:o
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar