
JoeG4
Nov 22, 03:14 PM
Palm makes nothing but garbage.
The management of the company, in fact, was so pathetic that they ended up selling out to big MS and making PPC-based phones like everyone else. Ever since that day, I have no interest for any of the garbage they make - and I was lusting after their stupid overpriced and ugly PDA phones before they made that decision.
The management of the company, in fact, was so pathetic that they ended up selling out to big MS and making PPC-based phones like everyone else. Ever since that day, I have no interest for any of the garbage they make - and I was lusting after their stupid overpriced and ugly PDA phones before they made that decision.
Justin122
Mar 28, 11:22 AM
Typical. My 2 year contract ends in the summer.
Oh well, guess I won't be getting an iPhone this time around.
Oh well, guess I won't be getting an iPhone this time around.
amateurmacfreak
Jul 22, 02:04 PM
I would really like to see Apple have a laptop cheaper than $1,100, and I think there would be a definite market for the, especially for teenagers looking into getting a Mac. I know that's unlikely, but...
Anyways I hope that the MBPs get the processor update (and a new enclosure) very soon and I really hope the MBs and Mac Minis follow soon after.
I don't get any reason for Apple not too, and I think with Intel it would be possible for Apple to get some cheaper computers out there. It would be nice, but seems unlikely.... *sighs*
Anyways I hope that the MBPs get the processor update (and a new enclosure) very soon and I really hope the MBs and Mac Minis follow soon after.
I don't get any reason for Apple not too, and I think with Intel it would be possible for Apple to get some cheaper computers out there. It would be nice, but seems unlikely.... *sighs*
Cougarcat
Mar 30, 08:15 PM
But the new Mail app follows the same metaphor.
It looks like the iPad version, yes. But it doesn't try to emulate real-world objects, like Address Book and iCal look like an actual address book and calendar. (That would be awful--imagine rummaging through a "stack" of letters in a 3D-rendered mailbox. ;)
It looks like the iPad version, yes. But it doesn't try to emulate real-world objects, like Address Book and iCal look like an actual address book and calendar. (That would be awful--imagine rummaging through a "stack" of letters in a 3D-rendered mailbox. ;)
bedifferent
Apr 22, 04:29 PM
Steve: "Introducing, the new iRack!" :D
Madtv - Apple iRack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE)
Best. Skit. Ever.
Madtv - Apple iRack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE)
Best. Skit. Ever.
rez7777777
Mar 29, 02:20 PM
Why use Japanese companies over American Companies. If they are made in China by a Japanese company why would that be cheaper than an American company being made in China? Also if the plants are in Japan they are just as expensive or more to produce in Japan as it is in the U.S. Have you seen any cameras or t.v's made in Japan for the U.S? Japanese people will not buy a t.v or camera etc if it's made outside of Japan, that why they pay much more for products made in Japan. If they are not going to make them in their U.S. make them in China for the lowest cost.
soldatodipxao
Sep 15, 10:20 PM
This looks great... I've been reading macrumors for quite some time now... been planning for merom since summer... this will be my first apple experience... can't wait!
I ordered a macbook pro for my sister on thursday (she wanted to take advantage of the ipod deal for students) and her shipment info says shipping on the 19th (maybe the REAL tuesday!) and arriving on the 25th (coincidence?). she ordered a custom 15' macbook pro. looks like a good sign to me!
I ordered a macbook pro for my sister on thursday (she wanted to take advantage of the ipod deal for students) and her shipment info says shipping on the 19th (maybe the REAL tuesday!) and arriving on the 25th (coincidence?). she ordered a custom 15' macbook pro. looks like a good sign to me!
ravenvii
May 3, 03:43 PM
CURRENT KNOWN MAP:
http://web.me.com/ravenvii/map/known.png
STATS:
1. Rosius: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
2. Dante: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
3. Beatrice: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
4. Rhon: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
5. Wilmer: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
6. Loras: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
7. Jorah: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
http://web.me.com/ravenvii/map/known.png
STATS:
1. Rosius: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
2. Dante: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
3. Beatrice: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
4. Rhon: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
5. Wilmer: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
6. Loras: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
7. Jorah: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP

Kadman
Apr 5, 08:53 PM
Would have been so much better if the title had read "Apple asks Toyota to put the brakes on jailbreak ad campaign"
Shasta
Aug 11, 09:16 AM
Damn, and I just got my new MacBook yesterday
oh well, I caught the last round of iBook updates last year, and that left me on the bleeding edge for several months. I'll see what it looks like in second place for a while.
Plus if my MacBook gets lonely and depressed he can talk to my 1st gen PowerMac G5
(God I need more RAM for the MacBook)
Shasta
oh well, I caught the last round of iBook updates last year, and that left me on the bleeding edge for several months. I'll see what it looks like in second place for a while.
Plus if my MacBook gets lonely and depressed he can talk to my 1st gen PowerMac G5
(God I need more RAM for the MacBook)
Shasta

ValSalva
May 7, 12:12 PM
Drop Box
Drop Box sits on top of Amazon's S3 storage. What they've done is built up the front end so that when you drop a file on your Drop Box it caches the file locally and then syncs to the cloud "behind the scene". So when you open a file sitting in your Drop Box it feels like working on a local file because you "are" working on the local file. Any changes made from you or anyone the file has shared with will be sync'd in the background.
Most people don't understand the fundamental differences between iDisk and Drop Box. If Apple was to build a front end to iDisk that stored the file locally and then sync'd over WebDAV in the background they'd be able to offer the same performance.
Thanks. IMHO this should be the future of cloud computing. Working locally is always and will always be faster. When they work, Dropbox type services give one the power of local storage and local computer resources (compared to web apps) with immediate backup and access everywhere.
Drop Box sits on top of Amazon's S3 storage. What they've done is built up the front end so that when you drop a file on your Drop Box it caches the file locally and then syncs to the cloud "behind the scene". So when you open a file sitting in your Drop Box it feels like working on a local file because you "are" working on the local file. Any changes made from you or anyone the file has shared with will be sync'd in the background.
Most people don't understand the fundamental differences between iDisk and Drop Box. If Apple was to build a front end to iDisk that stored the file locally and then sync'd over WebDAV in the background they'd be able to offer the same performance.
Thanks. IMHO this should be the future of cloud computing. Working locally is always and will always be faster. When they work, Dropbox type services give one the power of local storage and local computer resources (compared to web apps) with immediate backup and access everywhere.

illegalprelude
Aug 4, 08:53 PM
DO you guys think the Mac MINI will get a speed bump anytime soon? A friend of mine, shes looking to come over to the Mac side and the MINI seems perfect for her needs but something faster would be nice then the current.
McGiord
Apr 10, 06:19 PM
They�re not making any assumptions. You are.
The results of this poll are sad.
What is my assumption?
They are assuming that all the engineers know the right answer, and that math is a language that is the same all over the world.
Cry then if it makes you sad.
The results of this poll are sad.
What is my assumption?
They are assuming that all the engineers know the right answer, and that math is a language that is the same all over the world.
Cry then if it makes you sad.
BacklitFirefly
Nov 14, 04:00 PM
I installed Sophos on our two Macs after it was released. On my Macbook Pro, there were four quarantined items, all in the Cache area, all having to do with Java. Nothing showed up on the iMac. And they weren't threats so Mac, but to Windows.
Sophos really does run quietly, and doesn't appear to hog memory. Still, I uninstalled it. There isn't a version for iOS, and I get and send a lot of files from my iPhone and iPad. I'm not really saving anyone using Windows from those threats unless I limit all activity to my Macs -- and that's a bit counter productive.
Sophos really does run quietly, and doesn't appear to hog memory. Still, I uninstalled it. There isn't a version for iOS, and I get and send a lot of files from my iPhone and iPad. I'm not really saving anyone using Windows from those threats unless I limit all activity to my Macs -- and that's a bit counter productive.

bloodycape
Apr 18, 05:10 PM
No it's not. It's not that obvious. Phones sucked so bad before the iphone. Smart phones sucked even worse. Treo's, Q's omg. horrible pieces of equipment.
I can't say they sucked, they were just more spartan compare to what we have now. Sure the touch screen aspect of it was crap, but the browser was acceptable, battery life was good, and they keyboard, least on the 650, and 700w where good all the years I used them. From time to time I miss my 700w and WM as it had this nerdy charm to it.
This could out like the RIM v Handspring(Palm bought them later) lawsuit were RIM sued Handspring for copying their keyboard, and something related to emailing on a mobile device. They settled out of court in the end.
I can't say they sucked, they were just more spartan compare to what we have now. Sure the touch screen aspect of it was crap, but the browser was acceptable, battery life was good, and they keyboard, least on the 650, and 700w where good all the years I used them. From time to time I miss my 700w and WM as it had this nerdy charm to it.
This could out like the RIM v Handspring(Palm bought them later) lawsuit were RIM sued Handspring for copying their keyboard, and something related to emailing on a mobile device. They settled out of court in the end.
(L)
Apr 18, 04:53 PM
Or what? You'll release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they shoot bees at you?
Oh no not the bees! NOT THE BEES! Aaaaaaaagh:(
Oh no not the bees! NOT THE BEES! Aaaaaaaagh:(
HiVolt
Apr 21, 05:22 PM
It would be nice. As I'm forced to use a Mac Pro with no redundancy at work to run some Mac specific software. At least my rack is wide enough, I slide in thru the side and on a shelf.
A 3U-4U Mac Pro with optional redundant PSU and hardware RAID5 would be great. We would certainly buy one at work.
A 3U-4U Mac Pro with optional redundant PSU and hardware RAID5 would be great. We would certainly buy one at work.
NebulaClash
Apr 25, 08:58 AM
there's a big difference between the device knowing where it is/has been and that information actually being uploaded to "the mothership".
Correct, and that's why Steve is telling the truth unlike the trolls pretending this is an Apple conspiracy. That file is stuck on your hard disk and goes nowhere. Delete it and you don't even have that (as I did months ago when this story first broke). I tried the mapping tool and it won't work on my machine because consolidated.db cannot be found. Yet my iPhone works just fine, and Location Services works fine too.
Apple has never grabbed this information.
Android, on the other hand, exists so that it can serve advertiser's needs. Apple has been Opt In, but Android is Opt Out, which means your data gets transmitted to advertisers by default. You bet they track you on Droids. That's the entire business model.
Correct, and that's why Steve is telling the truth unlike the trolls pretending this is an Apple conspiracy. That file is stuck on your hard disk and goes nowhere. Delete it and you don't even have that (as I did months ago when this story first broke). I tried the mapping tool and it won't work on my machine because consolidated.db cannot be found. Yet my iPhone works just fine, and Location Services works fine too.
Apple has never grabbed this information.
Android, on the other hand, exists so that it can serve advertiser's needs. Apple has been Opt In, but Android is Opt Out, which means your data gets transmitted to advertisers by default. You bet they track you on Droids. That's the entire business model.
ECUpirate44
Mar 28, 10:39 AM
Most phone consumers do not get a new phone on the day their contracts expire. That's yet another geek misconception about how the world works.
I'd be shocked if Apple loses "many" of their customers to Android in 2011. Why on earth would they switch when they already have an iPhone that they love?
I'll give you that. I should have said "some." In any case, I still think it's something to consider.
I'd be shocked if Apple loses "many" of their customers to Android in 2011. Why on earth would they switch when they already have an iPhone that they love?
I'll give you that. I should have said "some." In any case, I still think it's something to consider.
notjustjay
Apr 25, 09:34 AM
As many observers have noted, the iOS location database does not record exact GPS data, instead seeking to pinpoint the locations of Wi-Fi access points and cell towers that the device comes within range of, although the database does offer a clear general track of a user's movements.
The bolded parts are key. The phone is simply keeping a cache of what towers and wifi sources are nearby, so it doesn't have to keep repeatedly doing the same searches over and over. It's like your Mac keeps a list of WiFi networks it has been connected to, so it doesn't have to ask you again the next time it sees them. Yes, that data can be used to point to roughly where you are, but it's not pinpoint accuracy like with GPS.
I think the easy solution to all this is simply to have this consolidated.db file roll off the old data after a couple of weeks or so, rather than keep it around for months or years at a stretch.
The bolded parts are key. The phone is simply keeping a cache of what towers and wifi sources are nearby, so it doesn't have to keep repeatedly doing the same searches over and over. It's like your Mac keeps a list of WiFi networks it has been connected to, so it doesn't have to ask you again the next time it sees them. Yes, that data can be used to point to roughly where you are, but it's not pinpoint accuracy like with GPS.
I think the easy solution to all this is simply to have this consolidated.db file roll off the old data after a couple of weeks or so, rather than keep it around for months or years at a stretch.
bokdol
Jul 30, 02:06 AM
apple could start their own service. like virgin, ampd, boost, and now helio. they all have there own phones and service.
helio can send up dates to myspace.
so why not a .mac phone updater where you can send podcast to your .mac account through the phone. there could be some intresting things going on if apple has delayed the phone this long.... or maybe it will be just a phone that work on the cingular network. seeing that the itunes phones use cingular
helio can send up dates to myspace.
so why not a .mac phone updater where you can send podcast to your .mac account through the phone. there could be some intresting things going on if apple has delayed the phone this long.... or maybe it will be just a phone that work on the cingular network. seeing that the itunes phones use cingular
Raidersmojo
Jul 30, 05:48 AM
one problem, that will never happen. Alltel does not own their network or even remotly have any form of cash to set it up. they just rent their network. Second, you can offer as much as of a cool device as you want, but its not going to cause millions of people to just dump their plans, break their contracts and switch. Mac cool-aid, down, now!
going to have to say you're wrong on that one
my dad has said if apple comes out with a cell phone hes canceling all of our cell phone plans and getting apples. he has a verizon treo my step mom brother and sister have nextel phones
going to have to say you're wrong on that one
my dad has said if apple comes out with a cell phone hes canceling all of our cell phone plans and getting apples. he has a verizon treo my step mom brother and sister have nextel phones
Eorlas
Apr 5, 02:49 PM
I'd bet that Steve Jobs has a jailbroken iPhone with biteSMS because he knows how awesome it is to be able to quick send/reply...
Don't panic
May 3, 10:06 PM
that example is based on an impossible scenario (according to the rest of the rules) because the hero has more HP than AP while the max for both should be the level
it still illustrate the mechanics, but it does introduce confusion. that's why i had dropped it in my re-write. the second example is clearer
it still illustrate the mechanics, but it does introduce confusion. that's why i had dropped it in my re-write. the second example is clearer
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar