Scottgfx
May 6, 01:43 AM
Isn't ARM a RISC processor? We just switched from RISC to CISC. And now we're going back?
If my understanding of processor architectures are correct, the CISC processors have become a hybrid. There's a core part that is probably more similar to a RISC and a pre-processor that translates the CISC operations to the core. At least this was my understanding of the AMD Thunderbird chips from 10+ years ago. RISC chips moved in a similar and opposite direction, adding more instructions. Kind of counter to the original idea of RISC.
If my understanding of processor architectures are correct, the CISC processors have become a hybrid. There's a core part that is probably more similar to a RISC and a pre-processor that translates the CISC operations to the core. At least this was my understanding of the AMD Thunderbird chips from 10+ years ago. RISC chips moved in a similar and opposite direction, adding more instructions. Kind of counter to the original idea of RISC.

Tomorrow
May 3, 12:59 PM
SI is superior in conversions only
Imperial is superior as I actually have a feel for the numbers
It's also easier in calculations - each unit is a derivative of the seven base units, each with a conversion factor of 1.
Yes, let's not change it because YOU actually have a feel for the numbers.
As for having a feel for the numbers, he's not alone. I have nearly 20 years of professional experience using Imperial units as a mechanical engineer, as does every mechanical engineer in the U.S. Switching systems (or, rather, making it mandatory) will require all of these engineers to re-learn the formulae they've known and used for decades. That's the equivalent of millions of man-years of engineering experience down the drain. That isn't progress, no matter how much you might want want to believe it is.
We need to switch to the metric system, what we have now is ****ing crazy when looking at the rest of the world...this is coming from a bio major who has to deal with SI units daily
SI != metric.
I deal with both daily - our electrical system (Watts, Amperes, Volts, Ohms, etc.) are all metric and SI. Using Imperial units doesn't make understanding those SI units any harder.
For the love of your education system, do make the switch! I'm an engineering student from Canada. So I have to learn both imperial and SI. Imperial is such a pain in the ass.
I was an engineering student in the U.S., and I learned to use both systems - and yes, calculations using SI units were simpler. But the reality is that mechanical engineers here do not measure refrigeration in Watts, they use Btuh or tons of refrigeration. We don't use degrees Celsius, we use degrees Fahrenheit. We don't measure airflow in liters per second (which isn't even an SI unit; the proper convention would be cubic meters per second), we use cubic feet per minute. And as such, that's the system I've grown comfortable with as a professional.
Really, most opinions I see in the US to keep the imperial system is because you're not accustomed to it.
Which translates to an incredible cost of switching, and a near-certainty of an avalanche of errors.
...the difference between 37 and 38 degrees Celsius is 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit, hardly a noticeable difference when it comes to weather forecasts.
You'd make a great point if weather forecasts were all we used temperature measurements for.
For chilled water, a 12 degree (F) temperature differential equates to 2 gpm per ton of refrigeration. Every mechanical engineer knows that. Force him to use SI units, and the game changes completely; calculations that could once be done in your head now require a calculator. You would achieve the opposite effect.
I'm not so sure. If a recipe calls for 2 tablespoons, is it not just as easy to measure out 30ml?
Measuring or counting out two is always easier than measuring or counting out thirty.
Are there really any benefits to the Customary scale, or do we just perceive benefits because it's what we're used to?
I don't know that there are benefits to using customary units; but there are indeed benefits to not switching units. Not the same thing.
Metric is just easier to learn. Period.
That's one opinion. Period.
If it were so damn easy, everyone would know it, now, wouldn't they?
Imperial is superior as I actually have a feel for the numbers
It's also easier in calculations - each unit is a derivative of the seven base units, each with a conversion factor of 1.
Yes, let's not change it because YOU actually have a feel for the numbers.
As for having a feel for the numbers, he's not alone. I have nearly 20 years of professional experience using Imperial units as a mechanical engineer, as does every mechanical engineer in the U.S. Switching systems (or, rather, making it mandatory) will require all of these engineers to re-learn the formulae they've known and used for decades. That's the equivalent of millions of man-years of engineering experience down the drain. That isn't progress, no matter how much you might want want to believe it is.
We need to switch to the metric system, what we have now is ****ing crazy when looking at the rest of the world...this is coming from a bio major who has to deal with SI units daily
SI != metric.
I deal with both daily - our electrical system (Watts, Amperes, Volts, Ohms, etc.) are all metric and SI. Using Imperial units doesn't make understanding those SI units any harder.
For the love of your education system, do make the switch! I'm an engineering student from Canada. So I have to learn both imperial and SI. Imperial is such a pain in the ass.
I was an engineering student in the U.S., and I learned to use both systems - and yes, calculations using SI units were simpler. But the reality is that mechanical engineers here do not measure refrigeration in Watts, they use Btuh or tons of refrigeration. We don't use degrees Celsius, we use degrees Fahrenheit. We don't measure airflow in liters per second (which isn't even an SI unit; the proper convention would be cubic meters per second), we use cubic feet per minute. And as such, that's the system I've grown comfortable with as a professional.
Really, most opinions I see in the US to keep the imperial system is because you're not accustomed to it.
Which translates to an incredible cost of switching, and a near-certainty of an avalanche of errors.
...the difference between 37 and 38 degrees Celsius is 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit, hardly a noticeable difference when it comes to weather forecasts.
You'd make a great point if weather forecasts were all we used temperature measurements for.
For chilled water, a 12 degree (F) temperature differential equates to 2 gpm per ton of refrigeration. Every mechanical engineer knows that. Force him to use SI units, and the game changes completely; calculations that could once be done in your head now require a calculator. You would achieve the opposite effect.
I'm not so sure. If a recipe calls for 2 tablespoons, is it not just as easy to measure out 30ml?
Measuring or counting out two is always easier than measuring or counting out thirty.
Are there really any benefits to the Customary scale, or do we just perceive benefits because it's what we're used to?
I don't know that there are benefits to using customary units; but there are indeed benefits to not switching units. Not the same thing.
Metric is just easier to learn. Period.
That's one opinion. Period.
If it were so damn easy, everyone would know it, now, wouldn't they?

Duke&tank
Mar 27, 01:01 AM
I'm starting to wonder if a Iphone 5 is even going to come out this year i mean with the Verizon IPhone launched in February "kinda close to June - July IMO" so they might wait tell june of next year where we get AT&T and a Verizon IPhone upgrades.
just my thoughts on it. of course Apple is a secret company so we won't know tell it happens:)
just my thoughts on it. of course Apple is a secret company so we won't know tell it happens:)
Moyank24
May 5, 05:53 PM
And leave out the, uhhh, nether regions. No Mordor Mountain Oysters for me.
What do you think you've been eating for dinner every night for the last 10 years? You love those Mordor Mountain Oysters. :D
What do you think you've been eating for dinner every night for the last 10 years? You love those Mordor Mountain Oysters. :D
ChickenSwartz
Aug 12, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath, the Back to School iPod promo has always been a bait to help clear out old inventory. They won't make it available to buy, online or off, until after the promo ends.
This promo isn't to clear out Mac inventory, if anything it is to clear out iPod stock. If they hold back the Merom MBP just so I can't the free iPod I would be pissed and they would hear about it.
This promo isn't to clear out Mac inventory, if anything it is to clear out iPod stock. If they hold back the Merom MBP just so I can't the free iPod I would be pissed and they would hear about it.
inkswamp
May 4, 04:28 PM
If you drive to the store to buy it instead, should they pay for your gas?
If they'd previously delivered it to my house, then yes.
I think a lower price is a reasonable trade-off for asking us to download, especially an upgrade of that size. Apple will be saving a considerable amount of money in terms of packaging, production, shipping, physical storage, shelf space (which they pay for in other stores), etc. Part of their ability to do that involves the use of the Internet connection I'm paying for (which, btw, for some people is metered.) I think that's reasonable.
You don't agree?
If they'd previously delivered it to my house, then yes.
I think a lower price is a reasonable trade-off for asking us to download, especially an upgrade of that size. Apple will be saving a considerable amount of money in terms of packaging, production, shipping, physical storage, shelf space (which they pay for in other stores), etc. Part of their ability to do that involves the use of the Internet connection I'm paying for (which, btw, for some people is metered.) I think that's reasonable.
You don't agree?
johnnyturbouk
Apr 18, 05:23 PM
there is generic design layout UI being implemented across different brand for the same niche - then there is blatant rip-off
i'm sorry - the galaxy tab does appear an obvious imitation; i have not used of these galaxy tabs, and do not intend to - i have a feeling samsung will worm out of this one
i'm sorry - the galaxy tab does appear an obvious imitation; i have not used of these galaxy tabs, and do not intend to - i have a feeling samsung will worm out of this one

iApples
Mar 26, 11:48 PM
True, they got tons of them comming out.
They might be cheaper but some of them do have better hardware specs but when it comes to the OS and the way it runs everything they sure are crappy and cant compete with the iOS.
It's actually pretty sad that Android does not have the majority of the market.. They have new phones being released every other week. A 'newer and better' than last weeks. They make their phones go obsolete faster than anything I've ever seen. They released the Nexus One and that was suppose to be their amazing device... Is that even around anymore? Pretty sure like a month later they had a better one out.
Apple has released 4 iPhone's. Android has released more in a months time... And Apple STILL owns the market. They should really be ashamed. Maybe if they actually spent their time working on ONE great device and released it every like 8 months or even every year.. then maybe I could see potential. I refuse to buy an Android device because I know a week later my brand new phone will be old news.
They might be cheaper but some of them do have better hardware specs but when it comes to the OS and the way it runs everything they sure are crappy and cant compete with the iOS.
It's actually pretty sad that Android does not have the majority of the market.. They have new phones being released every other week. A 'newer and better' than last weeks. They make their phones go obsolete faster than anything I've ever seen. They released the Nexus One and that was suppose to be their amazing device... Is that even around anymore? Pretty sure like a month later they had a better one out.
Apple has released 4 iPhone's. Android has released more in a months time... And Apple STILL owns the market. They should really be ashamed. Maybe if they actually spent their time working on ONE great device and released it every like 8 months or even every year.. then maybe I could see potential. I refuse to buy an Android device because I know a week later my brand new phone will be old news.
StyxMaker
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
the iOS rly needs a revamp, its getting really boring and dated after owning 3 generations. where r the damn widgets still and what use does lockscreen have if u cant add anything (jailbreak excluded)
oh and get rid of that glass back ... what fool thought its a good idea. mine is sooo scratched but at least not yet shattered like so many others ik
next phone might be a android after all
What are you people doing to scratch your phones so much? I don't use a case with my iPhone 4, carry it in my pocket (sometimes with my car keys) and there's not a noticeable scratch on the front or back.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
the iOS rly needs a revamp, its getting really boring and dated after owning 3 generations. where r the damn widgets still and what use does lockscreen have if u cant add anything (jailbreak excluded)
oh and get rid of that glass back ... what fool thought its a good idea. mine is sooo scratched but at least not yet shattered like so many others ik
next phone might be a android after all
What are you people doing to scratch your phones so much? I don't use a case with my iPhone 4, carry it in my pocket (sometimes with my car keys) and there's not a noticeable scratch on the front or back.
GGJstudios
Dec 15, 08:56 AM
whats better sophos or kaspersky for mac?
Neither.
Will this scan for windows viri too?
Most scan only for Windows threats, since there are no viruses in the wild that run on current Mac OS X. Some will scan for outdated Mac viruses and trojans, but those are unnecessary, as long as the user exercises common sense in where they get software.
Neither.
Will this scan for windows viri too?
Most scan only for Windows threats, since there are no viruses in the wild that run on current Mac OS X. Some will scan for outdated Mac viruses and trojans, but those are unnecessary, as long as the user exercises common sense in where they get software.
iRobby
Mar 27, 03:05 PM
hmmm some android phone it is then, and a new iPad for my iOS pleasure at some point. getting tired of the same UI after owning 3 iPhone generations
Wait til the phone is released to make that decision don't base it on RUMORS!
Wait til the phone is released to make that decision don't base it on RUMORS!
srathi
Apr 26, 02:15 PM
inevitable as android devices are available everywhere and in every price segment. remember, half of all American workers earn $505 or less per week.
This argument is getting old now. As usual, iFans are in denial.
This argument is getting old now. As usual, iFans are in denial.

apolloa
Apr 21, 07:24 PM
Agreed. The Mac Pro case has been perfected over years and doesn't look at all dated. The more Apple has to pour R&D into a small new case with almost certain version 1 cooling issues, the more likely prices will continue to rise.
IMO the Mac Pro looks like an old granny these day's. It's in dire need of a refresh and looks totally out of line when compared to the rest of Apples range. And it's interesting to think that Apple is incapable of properly re-designing the computer because that's what you are saying effectively.
IMO the Mac Pro looks like an old granny these day's. It's in dire need of a refresh and looks totally out of line when compared to the rest of Apples range. And it's interesting to think that Apple is incapable of properly re-designing the computer because that's what you are saying effectively.
*LTD*
Apr 23, 05:07 PM
Apple's problem is that they put "Looks" before performance.
They crippled their chances of ever becoming a serious competitor to the PC for games due to deciding to use giant laptops on a stand which meant they could not cool any decent graphics cards, handing the gaming crown to the PC for years on a plate.
As for the future who knows.
And today they are the Gold Standard for consumer tech.
OS X runs very well on Apple hardware. OS X apps run very well on Apple hardware. Not sure what the problem with performance is.
Those "laptops on a stand" are selling in record numbers while the rest of the computer industry is in a sharp downturn.
They've got the future of gaming all locked up nice and tight on iOS, not on PCs as we know them but on mobile devices which keep getting more powerful and which as we know, are the future of computing.
Your anecdotal opinion is cool and all, but perspective please!
Apple has been completely and unequivocally unaffected by conceding the gaming market to someone else. Instead, they've revisited it and have created a new standard. if that's what "losing" means then I'm damned impressed.
They crippled their chances of ever becoming a serious competitor to the PC for games due to deciding to use giant laptops on a stand which meant they could not cool any decent graphics cards, handing the gaming crown to the PC for years on a plate.
As for the future who knows.
And today they are the Gold Standard for consumer tech.
OS X runs very well on Apple hardware. OS X apps run very well on Apple hardware. Not sure what the problem with performance is.
Those "laptops on a stand" are selling in record numbers while the rest of the computer industry is in a sharp downturn.
They've got the future of gaming all locked up nice and tight on iOS, not on PCs as we know them but on mobile devices which keep getting more powerful and which as we know, are the future of computing.
Your anecdotal opinion is cool and all, but perspective please!
Apple has been completely and unequivocally unaffected by conceding the gaming market to someone else. Instead, they've revisited it and have created a new standard. if that's what "losing" means then I'm damned impressed.
JAT
Apr 25, 11:29 AM
If you are [a criminal], then you are probably bright enough to use a burn phone. :p
You should at least watch The Wire to get some hints, anyway.
You should at least watch The Wire to get some hints, anyway.
pkson
Mar 26, 10:45 PM
My thoughts exactly. Our school district (ISD 482) just bought 1,465 iPads for its students, and I can see us getting really mad if Apple were to release a new iPad 6 mos. later.
WOAH.
that's a lot of iPads!
That'll take forever to deliver!
WOAH.
that's a lot of iPads!
That'll take forever to deliver!

Tomorrow
May 5, 09:27 AM
Sure, the math was simple, but how meaningful are all these crazy fractions?
About as meaningful as the need to figure out one third of 13/16.
Out of interest, how would you enter (3' 7 13/16") / 3 into a standard calculator?
Keystroke for keystroke, just the way you did it, except substitute the fraction symbol for the apostrophe and quote symbols you used for feet and inches. I own several calculators, and they'll all do this.
About as meaningful as the need to figure out one third of 13/16.
Out of interest, how would you enter (3' 7 13/16") / 3 into a standard calculator?
Keystroke for keystroke, just the way you did it, except substitute the fraction symbol for the apostrophe and quote symbols you used for feet and inches. I own several calculators, and they'll all do this.

Small White Car
May 4, 02:55 PM
Wasn't there some talk about Lion having a recovery partition? I would wager, if it did, that is how you would reinstall it without burning a disc.
Correct, but people are still reaonably concerned with total drive-failures where you have to pull the whole thing out.
Not as often as you like. You buy one copy of Snow Leopard and it is good for one Mac. Family pack gets you 5.
Nope, there's no restriction.
Look, I'm not talking about what's allowed. I'm talking about what's possible. The post I'm replying to specifically said "abuse" in it. If we're talking about people breaking the rules, the question is: What's going to stop them?
With Snow Leopard the answer is nothing, really.
Correct, but people are still reaonably concerned with total drive-failures where you have to pull the whole thing out.
Not as often as you like. You buy one copy of Snow Leopard and it is good for one Mac. Family pack gets you 5.
Nope, there's no restriction.
Look, I'm not talking about what's allowed. I'm talking about what's possible. The post I'm replying to specifically said "abuse" in it. If we're talking about people breaking the rules, the question is: What's going to stop them?
With Snow Leopard the answer is nothing, really.

0010101
Nov 25, 10:14 PM
Apple could very easily set up their 'own' cell network.. the same way Virgin Mobile, TracPhone, and several other cell phone companies have done.
Not by building towers and cell sites.. but by buying blocks of numbers from an existing large carrier and rebranding it as their own.
Of course, for voice and text usage, this gets expensive for the customer.. but for things like downloads of video and music files, they could simply tack on a 'wireless' surcharge.
For instance, a particular iTunes song could cost say.. $2 if downloaded with a computer.. but $2.50 if downloaded 'direct to iPod'.
It would work very simular to the way those 'pre-paid' cell phones work. You buy the iPod from the store, no contract to sign, no comitments. Take it home and 'activate' it for wireless access, then pay for what you download, and pay nothing if you never use the wireless features.
iPod wireless. Don't talk. Listen.
Send me a free 17" MacBook Pro and you can have that slogan, Steve!
That makes perfect sense to me. Especially since the data center Apple just bought would be the perfect rig of the increased download demand, as well as billing for such a service.
Not by building towers and cell sites.. but by buying blocks of numbers from an existing large carrier and rebranding it as their own.
Of course, for voice and text usage, this gets expensive for the customer.. but for things like downloads of video and music files, they could simply tack on a 'wireless' surcharge.
For instance, a particular iTunes song could cost say.. $2 if downloaded with a computer.. but $2.50 if downloaded 'direct to iPod'.
It would work very simular to the way those 'pre-paid' cell phones work. You buy the iPod from the store, no contract to sign, no comitments. Take it home and 'activate' it for wireless access, then pay for what you download, and pay nothing if you never use the wireless features.
iPod wireless. Don't talk. Listen.
Send me a free 17" MacBook Pro and you can have that slogan, Steve!
That makes perfect sense to me. Especially since the data center Apple just bought would be the perfect rig of the increased download demand, as well as billing for such a service.
milozauckerman
Aug 7, 06:14 PM
I'm SO angry too! I'm seriously going to be PISSED OFF until Apple offers a 50 GHz workstation with 32 GB of RAM and a 4 TB hard drive for free!
Reductio ad absurdum only works if the original argument/request was absurd (hmmm...).
I, for one, am not asking for anything extraordinary or underpriced. I think the people looking for a $999 desktop are nuts, too. That's a market where Apple doesn't have a niche to get into.
But a sub-$2k desktop with a decent-to-good graphics card (and yes, the 7300 GT is completely useless - the x1600 in the iMac I'm using right now
I want something in competition with the mid-range PCs of the world - a tower with a 2.4GHz Conroe or a 2.0GHz single Xeon, with a graphics card at least capable of playing whatever games are out (once upon a time, I remember playing games now and then), two hard drive bays (four is nice, but two gives me a boot drive and a media drive, backups can go external), for $1599-2000 retail.
If Gateway can sell me a 2.4GHz Conroe with X1900 XT - more than adequate for my needs in photography and design, with the added benefit of games - for $1850, why the hell can't Apple sell me one for $2k? I'll happily pay the Apple Tax for something that genuinely fits my needs.
Reductio ad absurdum only works if the original argument/request was absurd (hmmm...).
I, for one, am not asking for anything extraordinary or underpriced. I think the people looking for a $999 desktop are nuts, too. That's a market where Apple doesn't have a niche to get into.
But a sub-$2k desktop with a decent-to-good graphics card (and yes, the 7300 GT is completely useless - the x1600 in the iMac I'm using right now
I want something in competition with the mid-range PCs of the world - a tower with a 2.4GHz Conroe or a 2.0GHz single Xeon, with a graphics card at least capable of playing whatever games are out (once upon a time, I remember playing games now and then), two hard drive bays (four is nice, but two gives me a boot drive and a media drive, backups can go external), for $1599-2000 retail.
If Gateway can sell me a 2.4GHz Conroe with X1900 XT - more than adequate for my needs in photography and design, with the added benefit of games - for $1850, why the hell can't Apple sell me one for $2k? I'll happily pay the Apple Tax for something that genuinely fits my needs.
Wolfpup
Jan 5, 11:27 AM
I used to think you didn't REALLY need it if you didn't do anything stupid, but then I had it catch something in a banner ad a couple of times, so...now I think it's just better to be safe than sorry.
I think those two attacks are the only times I've been attacked, although I've heard of more recent things like that too.
I think those two attacks are the only times I've been attacked, although I've heard of more recent things like that too.
baryon
May 4, 06:23 PM
This is great, with Snow Leopard I couldn't buy it for weeks as they were constantly "out of stock" in the shops.
But how do you boot from a disk image without a disk???
But how do you boot from a disk image without a disk???
2992
Mar 31, 04:32 AM
Downloading now!
Congrats! That's almost an achievement! We all of us should know about it! :rolleyes:
Congrats! That's almost an achievement! We all of us should know about it! :rolleyes:
nutmac
Apr 21, 04:18 PM
I would say make it even smaller.
Mac Pro should be based on Mac mini, but with a choice of i7 or Xeon CPU, 6 user-serviceable memory slots, 2-3 expansion slots, and choice of 256 or 512 GB SSD. Complemented by multiple Thunderbolt port, external Superdrive, and Apple's own 5-bay DAS.
Mac Pro should be based on Mac mini, but with a choice of i7 or Xeon CPU, 6 user-serviceable memory slots, 2-3 expansion slots, and choice of 256 or 512 GB SSD. Complemented by multiple Thunderbolt port, external Superdrive, and Apple's own 5-bay DAS.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar